2001 Elite 80 no spark - troubleshooting help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

brianpeck
Noob
Noob

2001 Elite 80 no spark - troubleshooting help

Post by brianpeck »

Hey guys, got a non-running Elite 80 for cheap a few weeks ago that I'm still trying to get to fire up. Looks like my problem is no spark, which I've been trying to troubleshoot for a few days. My lack of scooter/mechanics knowledge coupled with a lack of electrical understanding has made it a bit of a challenge, so my apologies in advance if I use any incorrect terminology, or generally make myself look like a fool.

That being said... I did try to get my hands a bit dirty and do some troubleshooting before popping in here to ask "y isnt my scooter running!?1??"

An electrician friend of mine came over today, we were using his multimeter along with a downloaded copy of the repair manual to try to track down what exactly isn't working. After testing and measuring a few things, he pointed out a connector that was shorting out on him - something he thought was a bad sign. We looked over the diagrams and photos in the manual for a while but couldn't figure out exactly which part it is that might be bad.

Attached is a photo of what my friend was measuring when he found the short. It's a red connector underneath/in front of the seat. Anyone have an idea as to what might be faulty or at least where to go from here? Thanks in advance
Attachments
elite80electrical.jpg
elite80electrical.jpg (201.67 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
patthesoundguy

Re: 2001 Elite 80 no spark - troubleshooting help

Post by patthesoundguy »

Buy a cheap spark tester and use that to check for spark not a spark plug grounded out to the case. So you truly know you have fire or not. Then start trouble shooting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Follow the harness your pic shows meter connections to the component it feeds. Big fat Red wire/White stripe and Green wire say to me ---> your friend is measuring starter motor armature resistance. It is low resistance (near short in ohms) by design.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

I have found the connection between the spark plug cable and the plastic cap that snaps onto the spark plug can be a problem. The cap screws on to the cable in most applications. If you hold the cable and unscrew the cap from it it should come apart easily. If its hard to do, stop. They might be molded together and then look elsewhere. But if it unscrews spray contact cleaner onto the screw in the cap and into the end of the cable. If the end of the cable is torn up, try nipping off 1/4 inch of cable and screwing the cap onto the new end.
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Check the kill switch. The engine will crank but it will not have ignition spark.
89 Elite E
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Pete M wrote:Check the kill switch. The engine will crank but it will not have ignition spark.
Been there, spent a hour before trouble shooting no spark after I had bumped the kill switch and didnt realize it.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Check the two wires that connect to the coil and make sure they are on there, I hit some railroad tracks last summer and had a wire pop off the coil and had to pull the plastics on the sidewalk and fix it. Squeezed the spade plug with the Gerber tool and right as rain. Did both while I was there ;-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock