85 Spree bogs when about half throttle, bogs under load

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

facechicken
BMX
BMX

85 Spree bogs when about half throttle, bogs under load

Post by facechicken »

Got an 85 sprre i did and engine swap on, iowa model engine swapped in with correct carb. New rings just installed. Get it all back together and the thing starts just fine and will idle, but giving it throttle and it will reach a certain point and just sound like its starving itself for gas or its flooding itself (cant tell which it is for sure) and it dies. Messed with the screw adjustments on the side of the carb and they dont really make that much difference unless i screw the middle screw in all the way....then its hard to start but it will go full throttle without a problem....when i back it out it goes back to the original problem.

That was all done while standing beside the scooter not riding it

Now...when i have it screwed all the way in and try to ride it, it will die shortly after take off.

Thoughts? I have been through the carb about a half dozen times (completely dissassemble and cleaned everything and every hole each time)
patthesoundguy

Re: 85 Spree bogs when about half throttle, bogs under load

Post by patthesoundguy »

Did you hone the cylinder when you installed the new rings? If the bore is really shiny then maybe its not getting enough lubrictationand the new rings won't really break in right. No cross hatch on the cylinder walls means there is no place for the oil to live between the rings and cylinder walls. Is there oil in the tank is the oil pump working. The screws on the carb are for idle so they don't do much past 1\4 throttle. Get the manual and set them up to spec and then set the idle up as per manual. New rings mean you want to do a little bit of a break in before driving hard. Get it to idle and warm up to operating temp and let it cool off all the way. Do that cycle a few times before going and driving it and breaking it in. Wide open throttle for any length of time before breaking in the new parts is bad idea. You could also be having fuel delivery issues and or air issues. Is the air box and hose on and hooked up with a proper cover on it and proper filter element in and oiled and hose clamp on the hose. What main jet is In the carb. If the air box is not there or has no cover or no gasket in the cover the motor will idle but die at part throttle sometimes not right away so you will think its going to drive fine and then bog city. When it dies open the bottom screw on the carb its the drain screw. Does any fuel come out. If not the carb isn't getting any fuel. Look in the tank and inspect the filter screen with a flashlight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

Main jet is a 65....... i talked to the guy that did my rings.....he honed the cylinder...and also he broke the bottom ring when he installed it the first time and installed another top ring in the bottom ring slot.....he said it wouldnt make any diference except a little more smoking during operation....I have an air filter installed, but its not oiled and how important is the big o-ring on the airbox lid.....cuz i dont have one
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

The airbox to the exhaust is tuned... airbox and 2 cycle oiled filter eliment is important.

Just soak it and ring it out... ensure you are sealed up too.

Best of luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You may need a 68 jet. And the air box top gasket is essential. With out it the motor runs way too lean, and the 65 jet might have made it just that little bit more lean. Get some of the peel and stick foam gasket from the hardware store and slice it into thin strips and fit it in to the slot in the cover. That will fix it. The actual gasket may still be available from Honda, a friend of mine got one for her aero 80. It comes in a long length and you cut it to length and glue the ends together.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

65 jet is correct for an Iowa Spree. You will need to oil the filter and install the spagetti seal to ensure air is not leaking in from anywhere but the air intake holes. When you cleaned the carb did you remove the brass needle tube located under the main jet? If not that may be an additional area to look at.
89 Elite E
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yes 65 is correct for Iowa spree but if the iowa exhaust has been derestricted or replaced with a reg pipe then possibly the 68 would be a good idea. The 65 jet likely will be fine, I recommend once its up an running half decent and had some easy miles on it for a break in period doing a plug chop or two to make sure its OK with the 65 jet and the intake stuff if fine

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

The air box does have the seal.....i ordered a new air filter just to be safe, i did remove the tube under the jet and cleaned it too (does it have to be put back in a certain way?) Not sure about the muffler if its original or not....how much do 68 jets run cost wise? and where do i get one?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Call your local Honda dealer. You can read him this part number: 99101-187-0680. (The "68" in the last 4 digits is the jet size.)
Costs around $5. The Emulsion Tube only drops in correctly one way. If you invert it, the jet may not screw down all the way. See if it sticks out 3 or 4 threads' worth?

Your symptoms sound like a still-caked Pilot circuit. Search "Tiny Pin-* O' Light" for more information.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Take the pipe off and look in the the Ind of it where it connects to the port on the cylinder with a flash light. If there is a second hole smaller that the one in the flange it has the restriction for Iowa in there. Its just a washer welded in there. You can grind it out or use a step drill to drill it out. I'm sure there are pics on it here on the board and how to defeat it is in the wiki I think.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
facechicken
BMX
BMX

Post by facechicken »

ok I got it figured out......the tall tube by the tube with the jet in it was clogged. used some throttle body cleaner to soak it in the tube, used compressed air and gunk flew out of it. got it all put back together and it still is a little funny riding but I think it is from the centrifugal clutch being grabby from the engine sitting for 10 years without running. Thanks for all the help guys