Noob Gas oil mixture question 49cc 2001 honda elite

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dafilla
BMX
BMX

Noob Gas oil mixture question 49cc 2001 honda elite

Post by dafilla »

Firstly I would like to introduce myself to the forum, I'm out in Colorado, very new to scooters, but I plan on utilizing this forum for most of my scooter queries. I'm not new to the search feature of these forums, so I will try to keep my questions to a minimum, but unfortunately I'm a bit puzzled, and my question here more so falls under my general lack of knowledge of engines. I understand the 2001 Honda elite is a 2 stroke engine has a oil pump of some sorts, but I also was reading about people plugging the oil pump and making a typical 2 stroke oil gas mixture. My question about the mixtures and this may seem very :newb: but when I see people say a 32:1 mixture what does that exactly mean in amounts? is that ounces, liters? would I put 32 (insert measurement type) mixed with 1 (measurement type) Also does the 49cc elite have a separate oil cap to pour in oil, and change out oil? I would like to do the best for the scooter, and although my general knowledge of small engines is almost non existent, I plan on learn what I can before I make a big mistake. Also, I believe the scooter I'm acquiring has been garaged for 2 years or so without any activity, I assume it would be smart to empty the oil and gas that might be currently left inside, would this be necessary? I appreciate any help, and please be kind with my lack of knowledge, besides my poor grammar, I know this may sound dumb, but I figure it is better to ask, rather burn out the engine, and what a better place to ask. Also any suggestions you would add for a beginner to look into, maybe common mistakes, things to look out for with a scooter that has been garaged so long. Thank you very much in advanced, and either way glad to be apart of the forum. :peace:
patthesoundguy

Re: Noob Gas oil mixture question 49cc 2001 honda elite

Post by patthesoundguy »

Welcome to the forum :-D

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings and welcome dafilla: .... :hi:
The oil mixture numbers you see refer to RATIO...32:1 for instance means 32 PARTS gas to each 1 PART of oil.
The UNIT OF MEASURE can be any you choose and the RATIO of mixture is the same....
32 gallons of gas to 1 gallon of oil....OR
32 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil...OR
32 milliliters of gas to 1 milliliter of oil...OR...you get it.
For example: Consider you have a gas tank that holds 1 gallon.
1 gallon = 128 ounces
128 divided by 32 = 4
This equation indicates that 128 ounces of gas mixed with 4 ounces of oil results in a RATIO of 32:1
For the sake of clarity, another equation:
In order to achieve a mixture ratio of 25:1, use the same method...
128 ounces divided by 25 = 5.12
Therefor, 1 gallon of gas mixed with 5.12 ounces of oil results in a RATIO of 25:1

I hope this is helpful in your understanding of RATIO.
Your Elite has a tank for 2-stroke oil and there is a hose that connects this tank to the oil pump.
Do NOT confuse 4-stroke oil with 2-stroke oil.
There is NO crankcase oil (4-stroke) in your Elite.
You should never put 4-stroke oil in the tank for 2-stroke oil.
You SHOULD empty all gas and oil from you Elite and refill with fresh.
Easy way to do this is by removing the hoses from their respective connections and drain.
The hoses are subject to deterioration and the BEST thing to do is replace them all, particularly after sitting for long periods.
Ethanol based fuel has been known to cause accelerated deterioration of those hoses.
Wise choice is to use clear hose, and strictly hose rated for oil/fuel. (INSTALL an in-line fuel filter at this time)
ANOTHER item that is commonly required of gas engines after a period of hibernation is cleaning of the carburetor.
Fuel sitting in a carb for two years tends to evaporate the liquid from the fuel leaving behind solids that accumulate in the passages and jets of the carb.
The engine will perform properly ONLY when all passages and jets are clear and open.
Carburetor cleaning is covered in the Wikispreedia files here on the forum.
I will say this about cleaning carbs: UNDERSTANDING the theory and function of carbs will benefit you greatly in achieving successful cleaning.
The PILOT jet of 50cc carbs is very TINY and is not generally removable.
SOAKING the carb in CHEM-DIP designed for the job followed by a lot of compressed air through the passages is by far the most effective method. (SPRAY CAN carb-cleaner has virtually NO affect in breaking up those stubborn solids, BUT, is a very useful tool when used properly to verify those passages and are actually OPEN) If you don not verify them open before reassembling the carb, then you are risking the possibility of needing to repeat the process again and again.... :sad:
The pilot jet is typically plugged and will require some poking with wire in addition to the soaking.
Various resources are utilized obtaining a wire small enough to pass through the pilot jet, for example: a single bristle from a wire brush, or a remnant of a guitar string. I personally use the wire set specifically designed to clean jets and available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Cleane ... r+cleaning
Oxy-Acetylene torch tip-cleaners are similar as well.
ULTRA-SONIC cleaners are also very good, and used today by most shops, but not typically used or owned by hobbyists.
Very best of luck in your all your efforts to revive and maintain your scoot.
:coolcruise: ....a happy scooter is seldom sitting still....... :thumbwink:

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

As questions arise, re-post with appropriate Subject titles to get your answers promptly.
I suppose I could continue with further dissertation regarding scooter re-birth, but the one thing I will add to to previous post is this....OLD TIRES are dangerous to run because the loss of traction resulting in the age of the rubber will greatly reduce your braking abilities and cornering confidence. BUY NEW TIRES, and KEEP THEM PROPERLY inflated... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

AWESOME response MotorMike.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

Thank you guys for the warm welcomes :D! Motormike I could have not asked for a better explanation, you broke it down perfectly for my simple mind hehe. :worship: I also appreciate the tips about the carb cleaning, I plan on spending the rest of the day learning the ins and outs of the carb on this scoot. I have no clue of the condition of tires unfortunately, I hope to be learning that this upcoming week, but I think I should plan on getting some new tires as well. Thank you very much again, excellent tips mike.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

If your scooter had been stored outside and was a lot older i would recomend draining the 2stroke oil out and running fresh and cleaning the screen in the tank at the same time. Cleaning the screen in the fuel tank after you drain it would be a really good idea.

Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

patthesoundguy wrote:If your scooter had been stored outside and was a lot older i would recomend draining the 2stroke oil out and running fresh and cleaning the screen in the tank at the same time. Cleaning the screen in the fuel tank after you drain it would be a really good idea.

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm still yet to pick the scoot up, but I think tonight I will be getting it. I believe it was stored in a garage, but it is definitely not running. The prior owner said they were running oil separately, and not a pre mix. If I drain out all the oils, clean the screen and start it on a pre mix would I run into any problems? Or does the oil mix itself when administered separately? Thank you again :)
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Stock engine, don't worry about premix. The oiler will do its job. Some recommend a light mix in the gas tank to help when its been sitting, allowing the oiler to move the new stuff thru the lines. I recommend Honda GN2, your Elite will love it.
And yes, replace the tires and tubes if they are over 3 years old. They don't cost that much, cheap safety investment.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

zuphilius wrote:Stock engine, don't worry about premix. The oiler will do its job. Some recommend a light mix in the gas tank to help when its been sitting, allowing the oiler to move the new stuff thru the lines. I recommend Honda GN2, your Elite will love it.
And yes, replace the tires and tubes if they are over 3 years old. They don't cost that much, cheap safety investment.
Great advice :D I have been checking around locally for the GN2 oil, but might end up having to order it. Do you know If there any big box chain store that might sell tires for these scoots? Very much appreciate all the great advice.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda dealers have/can get GN2.
Best tire prices I've found at MotorcycleSuperstore.com. Don't buy aything but Dunlop, IRC, Pirelli or Michelin.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Plus you can go a bit bigger on the rear tire to pick up a little more speed. I can't remember the recommendations.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Honda dealers have/can get GN2.
Best tire prices I've found at MotorcycleSuperstore.com. Don't buy aything but Dunlop, IRC, Pirelli or Michelin.
Ah! thank you wheelman, I should of thought of that, I keep forgetting that honda dealers carry scoot stuff, appreciate the advice on brands, I'm very new to this, I just finally got the elite last night. It is not as pretty as I thought it would be, the battery is roasted to the point it cannot hold a charge, but the engine has compression, and I think the investment of all the stuff you guys recommended will pay off once it is up and running.

I have been cleaning the carb and using the picture guide motormike directed me to, which has been a incredible help. But I have one washer that I cannot figure out where it went to.Image If anyone has a clue, I would be beyond grateful it is a 2001 elite sa 50. thank you again guys, and thank you for the rear tire tip zuphilius
impalo
Noob
Noob

Post by impalo »

zuphilius wrote:Plus you can go a bit bigger on the rear tire to pick up a little more speed. I can't remember the recommendations.
Does anyone know the larger tire size?