high idle /run away on aero 50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

experiencing a very weird problem anybody have an idea? I just picked up an 85 aero missing the air filter and airbox cover. I just cleaned the carb, runs goodish but idles very high and sometimes the throttle hangs or actually runs away(keep kill switch ready lol)...SCARY, Acts kinda like an airleak idles normal then high, but cant find one and has lot of power since idle will pull the bike around at 15-20mph
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
hopefully nh80 powered soon!
bc117
Spree
Spree

Re: high idle /run away on aero 50

Post by bc117 »

spark plug looked a little rich... so went back and checked the reeds they're fine. i tried testing the electric choke thing and it didn't move or do anything when hooked up to 12v... not sure what it does while the scoot is running so idk if this would be the issue, did notice it didn't have a gasket tho. Also im gonna polish the float seat just incase its flooding.
can someone please give me an idea for idle screw setting the screw could possibly be too far in i guess
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Running without the air filter or box will kill your engine. Running away sounds like its very lean, which without the above mention things should be your problem.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

+1 with Zuphilius - may even be doing damage running at all without an airbox and filter.

Service manual available on this site here: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=11&t=681 - look on page 4-10 for initial air adjustment screw setting - 1 1/4 turns out. The manual describes how to set the carb with the air and throttle screw. Not sure there is an initial setting for the throttle screw.

Another comment - the electric choke or by-starter definitely needs the o-ring to prevent air leaks and definitely should protrude further when hooked up to 12v (after 5-10 minutes). This may be part of the problem in that it is designed to stay open when cranking (giving additional fuel/air mix for cold starts) but should protrude and close off when warmed up. If it isn't closing off, then obviously the idle will be high after it warms up.

Without an airbox and a functioning by-starter, it doesn't make a lot of sense to try adjusting the carb IMHO.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Your throttle cable is in incorrectly. The long slot faces the engine. Reposition and adjust the idle properly. You can post on the wanted/forsale section and get yourself an air box and a new filter
89 Elite E
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I have have 2 air boxes for your aero for sale if your interested feel free to pm me.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

throttle cable is in right and the slide seats fully, i do have the air box just the lid/cover piece is missing im thinking it must be the by-starter leaking since theres no o-ring, ive ran plenty of two strokes without their airboxes usually it makes them gutless
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

well got a filter on it and put a rubber band and some sealant on the bystarter which helped alot but its not helping much really cause when i go over like 1/4 throttle the dang thing shoots a ton of fuel out the front of the carb which either kills it or make it rev up
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

To me the noob... it sounds like your bowl is over filling. Clean your float seat. There is a proceedure in wikiaspreedia.

Or maybe you are missing the bystater seal or it is compromised.

Good luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

bc117 wrote:well got a filter on it and put a rubber band and some sealant on the bystarter which helped alot but its not helping much really cause when i go over like 1/4 throttle the dang thing shoots a ton of fuel out the front of the carb which either kills it or make it rev up
How about take your bystarter out and take some photos of it for us so we can see what you have. It sounds like a bystarter issue. lets see a photo of the needle assembly and the seal.
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

Carl thx but i already cleaned and polished the float seat, something i like to do with most bikes i get
As for the bystarter it looks complete and clean in good shape maybe alittle scuffed on the side of the brass barrel part, just missing the o-ring ill try to get some picks later
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Okay... the fuel and air on the by-starter seal sound like one of your issues. You can go to HF and get 1000 different rubber seals for $5. I have a box of them and super handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-piece- ... 67609.html

Good Luck My Friend.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

Carl thanks i had no idea HB had those lol i wouldnt doubt if i find a use for each size and thats freakin cheap too :D

soo today i made an airbox cover outa tape and card board and found a thick little rubber band that fits the bystarter, and she runs pretty good but the motor still revs out really high until it warms up? now that itll idle for days now i set the idle to just under moving the wheel but the idle surges up for about 5 secs and down for 5 secs like if your sitting still itll be okay and then itll start pulling the scooter around then stop go down then up down etc. if i turn the air screw to about 2 and 1/2 turns out this will stop but i lose power it rides best between 1 to 1 1/2 turns
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

How about a photo of that bystarter needle assembly? I am wondering if it is not seating properly after warm up.