Lots and lots of smoke

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bfowler
Elite
Elite

Lots and lots of smoke

Post by bfowler »

So I finalllllyyyyy got my scooter running!! :DDDDD
Just curious as to why there's so much smoke coming out of the exhaust? I up jetted the carb to an 82 because I'm pretty sure it has already been derestricted. Haven't had a chance to check the variator plate yet because I'm waiting on the tusk tool to come in. Perhaps it's smoking a lot because its not derestricted and the jets too big? Lemme know what you guys think. Thanks.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Lots and lots of smoke

Post by evilone »

Might be the oil pump leaking and now that you got it started it will need to burn out the oil.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

New revived 50 Oil Burners that I have messed will smoke heavy at first - assume burring out some oil in the pipe / system. I have dumped oil out of pipes of lost scooters.

Hopefully this will go away soon as you move to a more typical level of smoke.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My spree tends to smoke a bunch after it sits a long time, I always just thought it was the oil pump bleeding a bit into the intake over time. A newly rebuilt motor should smoke more the first bit until it warms up the first go, because you were suposed to have oiled everything as it was assembled ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

bfowler wrote:So I finalllllyyyyy got my scooter running!! :DDDDD
Just curious as to why there's so much smoke coming out of the exhaust? I up jetted the carb to an 82 because I'm pretty sure it has already been derestricted. Haven't had a chance to check the variator plate yet because I'm waiting on the tusk tool to come in. Perhaps it's smoking a lot because its not derestricted and the jets too big? Lemme know what you guys think. Thanks.
If you are running premix in the tank and oil pump it will be a smoker if there is lots of oil. In that case an up jet is a good plan anyway, more oil means less fuel to cool the piston ;-) or if the oil pump is on its way out it might over oil, my express did that, had to run premix because of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock