Honda Elite 80 Trouble (speed/loud)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

Honda Elite 80 Trouble (speed/loud)

Post by handsomedevil27 »

Howdy,

now I know this is a board primarily for elite and spree 2 strokes, but I figure there might be a handful of ya who own a honda elite 80 that might be able to help me out.

Picked up a 1999 honda elite 80 2 weeks ago. its got a little over 5,000 miles.

The first week I bought the elite it ran quite fine. Topped out at about 45 mph and what I liked about it so much was that it wasn't nearly as loud as my spree. Fast forward to week 2, the thing ROARS and is now about three times as loud as my 2 stroke-spree.. also I seem to now be topping out at 40 mph. Any ideas on what is causing it to be so loud and the sudden drop in MPH?

He told me there was a full tune-up and valve adjustment done to it last year...which im not so sure if I believe anymore.
So far, i've changed the oil, added new fuel (with stabilizer), replaced battery, and am about to change the air filter this weekend.
What else should I be looking into to improve performance (mph) and hopefully fix why this thing is so gosh darn loud all of a sudden.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Honda Elite 80 Trouble (speed/loud)

Post by swimmingfree »

do you have a rust hole in the pipe...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I second the hole theory, or busted baffles or broken exhaust stud and leaky gasket. But the hole is likley

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
motormike

Post by motormike »

I would be looking at the exhaust system closely, especially the gasket at the port, but it could be several things as mentioned.

On another note: I have been running ethanol gasoline in my scooters, bikes, mopeds, lawn-mowers, truck...and I have NEVER put any stabilizer in anything.
Not even when parked for the winter.
Just empty the carb and call it good.
Why are you putting stabilizer in a bike that you are riding ? I don't understand.

To support my belief, I can testify regarding my Elite 80.
It is an '85 with 5k miles.
Last year I switched to a different scooter as my daily rider and parked the Elite.
It sat from last September until yesterday, 7 months or so.
My other scooter has suffered transmission failure, so I got busy yesterday and put a fresh battery in the Elite 80.
Without a whimper, it started as soon as gas filled the bowl, and I rode it to dinner today without a problem.
Smooth, no misses, no fresh gas, no stabilizer.
Many times, when I was employed as a Snapper service technician, did I take in a non-running mower that the owner had added Sta-Bil for winter storage.
The fix was always the same: dump the gas, fill with fresh, change plug.
Just putting that out there.... :thumbwink: .... :urban:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I haven't ever used stabilizer in my own stuff, like mike said drain and fill fresh, let rip. I had my gas bicycle chopper out on Monday, sat all winter outside under a tarp, pulled it out, let the carb fill up as it was empty, started right up. Had fuel in it from the summer. I don't use ethanol yet though. I find unless it smells skunky it is usually fine, but when in doubt if there are issues i go fresh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Like everyone else "Check your exhaust pipe" ... I had one crack just past the frame mount and was able to re-weld it . I have also see this posted many times ,
"Elite 80 exhaust pipe cracking"
The header design on this pipe is somewhat poor. The pipe will crack near the exhaust port on the engine, where the pipe bends. It can be welded or brazed with a little work.

Here is a photo of my Elite 80
I made some changes and stuck some SPREE 50 side panels on it .
Attachments
100_2251.jpg
100_2251.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Elite 80 w/ different side covers
Elite 80 w/ different side covers
IMG_0716.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
handsomedevil27
BMX
BMX

Post by handsomedevil27 »

sorry all, dont know why I wrote fuel stabilizer, i meant a fuel system cleaner since the guy I bought it from has had bike has been sitting for over a year so I figured it wouldnt hurt throwing some in when I refilled it with gasoline...

I will have to take a look at the exhaust - really hope it is an easy fix since I'm basically a beginner with scooters and have zero to no experience with welding