1985 Spree starting then dying.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spreeberg
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree starting then dying.

Post by Spreeberg »

First post ever . New member . I have an 85 & an 87 Honda Spree . The 85 is giving me problems. It would start up and die immediately unless giving it gas. Now it just won't start at all. I don't know a lot about scooters. I just started working on them but love it. It's probably a common problem but if anyone can help that would be great, thanks.
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Re: 1985 Spree starting then dying.

Post by SuprasNsprees »

Clean the carb
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Have seen some folks here chase a low compression issues lately... it is worth getting a reading.

Clean the carb, clean and oil your air fliter, and stuff in new ngk plug.

Report back.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

swflcarl wrote:Have seen some folks here chase a low compression issues lately... it is worth getting a reading.

Clean the carb, clean and oil your air fliter, and stuff in new ngk plug.

Report back.
All of the above... Paying close attention to the idle pilot circuit hole in the float bowl of the carb, it allows the fuel into the idle circuit of the carb so if it gets clogged which is easy cause its tiny no fuel gets in for idle and starting. Check all of the fuel lines they can rot on the inside dumping debris into the carb. Check the screen in the tank with a bright flashlight for clogging junk. I had a friends aero that would only run on above a half tank of fuel because there was stuff clogging the screen in the tank. A couple easy ways to check for fuel flow is first open the float bowl drain screw and see if any fuel drain out with the scooter not running, then crank it with the screw still open for a about 20 sec. Does any fuel come out. If not you can check the petcock by pulling the lines form the carb and intake apply vacuum to the vacuum line and see if fuel comes out of the fuel line. If fuel flows freely then go at the carb which should be done no matter what.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

use and follow these http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning and this http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide lot's of people need to do this 2-3 times.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »