1984 Honda Aero

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1984 Honda Aero

Post by vintagegarage »

This has nothing to do with a 1984 Aero, but I'll add this reply here as this is where the pictures are. The pictures are appropriate to the Express SR I am working on this week.

I have a question about two pictures with the clear blue hoses earlier in this thread. Looking at the first photo, is it true that when the engine is cold, fresh air from the small bystarter filter chamber on the far left flows through the fittings on the carb, and gasoline gets sucked out of the carb, and so an air/gasoline mix flows through the top clear blue hose to the valve on the right and then through the middle clear blue hose into the vacuum fitting on the manifold? Is it also true that when the engine is fully warm, clean air flows from the small bystarter filter chamber on the left of the photo through the clear not-blue hose to the valve on the right and then through the valve back to the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold through the clear blue hose in the middle of the picture?

If so, then the second photo is not a good fix as the mixture would seem to be too rich without the clean air coming into the intake manifold via the non-blue clear hose.

Likewise, simply capping off the two bystarter hose connections on the carb, and also capping off the vacuum connection on the intake manifold, would result in the same too rich condition when the engine was warm?

It is hard to believe that the correct mixture is obtained when there is factory designed air leak in the intake manifold. I must be missing something. Maybe when the engine is warm, both the clear non-blue hose and the blue clear hose are blocked off at the valve on the right?
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

Hi Vint, You are got everything on those pictures almost correct, couple things tho, second photo setup is for cold start which is below 50*F, it will be not correct for someone who live in warmer area (51*F to 115*F). Most people thinking those setups will help on making engine starts easier, then that s not truth, that setup only helps idling on engine already warmed and started. When engine running and warm up to 115*F, rich mixture is not needed anymore modify value SHUTOFF manually, to replace fail valve can't do it.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

kev..not sure you read my post completely.. every thing you say is true, but it doesn't answer my question. I will try again. In the first picture, when the engine is fully warmed up and running, is air flowing through the non-blue clear hose?
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

kevinv710 wrote: When engine running and warm up to 115*F, rich mixture is not needed anymore modify value SHUTOFF manually, to replace fail valve can't do it.
NO, because the outgoing is shutoff, see above
chungut240
Noob
Noob

Post by chungut240 »

I'm having the same problem, my bystarter is completely capped off and it's always ran fine and got up too about 45 mph but ever since I checked on my roller weights and my belt and put it all back together the same it refuses too go past 35 and just bogs if I try too go faster, I've also cleaned out the carb and replaced the fuel filter and I doubt thats the problem because it was working fine last week the plug looks fine besides some white spots on the diode, i should probably do a plug chop though does anyone have any suggestions?