1984 Honda Aero 50 problems with acceleration

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

teamrandr
Noob
Noob

1984 Honda Aero 50 problems with acceleration

Post by teamrandr »

Hello first and foremost you will have please excuse my general lack of knowledge. I have an '84 Aero 50 that I bought last November. The guy I bought it from said he had adjusted the carb because when the weather got cold it wouldn't idle. It ran real nice up until about a week ago. When I accelerate it starts to sputter and almost lose power. This happens at about 20 MPH. If I let off the throttle it will get up to 25 on it's own. Then I can give it like 30% throttle and it will get up to 27-28 MPH. It was doing 32-33 MPH. If I try to give it full throttle it starts cutting out. I know I need to adjust the carb probably but I need to watch some videos, I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to these engines. Any advice or info is much appreciated.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 1984 Honda Aero 50 problems with acceleration

Post by swimmingfree »

the manule tell you how to set the carb...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
teamrandr
Noob
Noob

Post by teamrandr »

swimmingfree wrote:the manule tell you how to set the carb...
swimmingfree
Cool I do have the original manual I will check that out.
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

You need to clean out the jets in the carb. Very easy to do just make sure all the holes in the jets are clean. You can buy replacement jets if you don't want to clean them but you can definitely clean them.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Adjust the carb you may, but other mainenance items you should first check. Like Yoda I speak.
Y'see, a carb that was adjusted "pretty good' last week doesn't just decide to go out of adjustment out of spite. Yes, perhaps warmer ambient temperatures put the jetting too rich, but your issue seems too severe for temperature to account for it. Furthermore, it's a high-speed (or at least "high" in Aero terms") issue, and the main jet is the LEAST likely to become obstructed with gum, particularly if it was running well last week. In fact, if it starts, idles and runs up to midrange at all, I'd bet money AGAINST the carb being the culprit.

Anyway, Carbs are hard to remove and dismantle. Air filters and spark plugs are easy to replace. There you should start. If bad running persists, with all the "usual suspects" addressed, then up your sleeves you should roll and start checking out the carb. Until then, it's wasted work that could actually cause new issues. YMMV.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

I agree with Wheelman. If you haven't addressed those simple items, check them first. If you check them and the scooter is still running poorly you will need a carb job.
teamrandr
Noob
Noob

Post by teamrandr »

Thanks Wheelman, I appreciate your advice. I will start with the basics.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Check the connection between the carb and air box, if it pops off and leaks it will really hurt the performance, and is something that could come loose on its own. Insects making a mud nest in the end of the exhaust can happen too. And as mentioned before air filter and spark plug. Even loose carb mounting bolts. Always look for something that can pop off or come loose easy first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock