Universal Carb? Manual Cable Choke? Express SR & Others

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RZRob
Goped
Goped

Universal Carb? Manual Cable Choke? Express SR & Others

Post by RZRob »

Hi folks,

I've had lots of various 2 stroke Honda 50s and those ByStarters seem to always have issues. My latest acquisition is an Express SR that's really clean, but it has carb issues. On this model, the bystarter is thermally reactive and attaches to the cylinder and seems to be giving the bike too much gas or not enough air. Bottomline, it's stifled and I'd like to replace the carb with a new one with manual choke. Has anyone found a universal carb that I might be able to make work? I'd like to be able to keep the factory air cleaner so the choke would need to be cable operated probably.

RZ Rob

patthesoundguy

Re: Universal Carb? Manual Cable Choke? Express SR & Others

Post by patthesoundguy »

Can you take a pic of the intake and carb, so we can see what it looks like. You might be lucky and be able to bolt on a new intake and pop what ever carb you like. If the the bystarter is like the aeros you can make it manual with more hose and a valve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

Thanks. I'll pull it apart and take pictures. I'm hopping someone's crossed this bridge before.

RZ Rob
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

If you search this forum, you will find several posts about that thermal bystarter. Rather than changing the carb, you can convert the bystarter to a manual choke using a simple fuel on/off valve. Here's a link to a thread that includes info on how to do that with an Urban Express - I think it has the same set-up.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=26718
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

Breaze, thank you very much for that post. I was thinking along those lines and now that it's been validated, I want to try it on mine. I'll let you know how it goes? It may be a couple weeks til I get back to it.

RZ Rob