HELP carb is full, can't flush it

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

HELP carb is full, can't flush it

Post by Ozzimo »

So basicly im in the middle the Seafoam carb treatment and once I got the 100 or so CC's of Seafoam in my carb i can't seem to get it out! He really doesn't give any directions other than "Suck it out with the syringe. I tried using the lower tube to suck it out but no dice.

any ideas?

PS. my scoot is in parts at the moment so a quick response would be great. :)
mikeb
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeb »

unscrew the screw on the bottom of the bowl all the way. most everthing will drain out.
1980 motobecane sebring : 1989 razz : 1985 spree : 1987 spree : 1986 spree : 2002 yamaha vino :1971 cb100 : 1998 civic : 2002 s2000
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

ok so I went all crazy on the carb. call me noob if you like i probably deserve it. So like I said I started just trying to do the seafoam treatment and couldn't figure out how to drain the carb. I ended up completely removing the bottom screw like BMX said. it didn't exactly rush out so I thought maybe I could push it along by giving it some light kick starts. It felt very still giving the kickstarts and indeed stuff started pouring out of the carb bit by bit. Then I got a little dumb and decided then would be a good time to take apart the carb. Did decently enoughm got inside, I saw the seafoam had done well and it looked very good. Put it back together and when all was done I tried to start it. I get nothing from the electric start and a glug/motorboat sound from the kick start. Also when i kickstart I start dribbling gas/oil in the ground.

I imagine one of my screws is off or something like that. Got any ideas?
islandbayy
Elite
Elite

Post by islandbayy »

When you unscrew the bottem drain screw, it wont rush out, drip drip, or mabe a somewhat faster drip drip drip is all you will get, that is normal.

Kick Starting it while it was still draining was a bad idea, basically, the SeaFoam removed gunk and crap in the carb, which is then floating around in the carb, needing to be flushed out. Draining the crap out one way or another (either the syringe or through the drain screw) will remove the majority (usually) of the gunk.

By kick starting it, instead of all the gunk flowing out of the carb onto the ground, the kick start caused the engine to suck in some fuel from the carb that it needs to start. By doing this, it probially sucked in some of the gunk and crap also. So now, you probially have a cloged jet.

I can give a couple different methods to free it up so it will start.

First, re-flush the carb, then fill it back up with SeaFoam, and let it sit over night. After letting it sit over night, try starting it, it may take a number of tryes, I would suggest doing kick start only, as you may burn out or cause damage to your electric starter, or wear down the battery.

Nest method, get a can of starting fluid (Not carb cleaner), and spray that into the carb, let it sit for a few minutes. Also, remove the spark plug, clean the plug (if you have not already), and spray 3 or 4 quick shots of starting fluid into the engine through the spark plug hole. Once you spray, quickly replace the spark plug in the engine.
Try starting the bike while it's on the kickstand. It should start right away with the starting fluid in the cylinder. If it starts, run it full throttle for 1 minute. If it dies out, spray 3 or 4 more shots into the cylinder through the spark plug port.

Another idea, you left the drain screw (bottem one) open. When the engine is not running, the drain plug will only drain whats in the carb, but if the engine is running, it will start draining more and more as the engine draws more gas into the carb. Make sure the screw is tight, not wrench tight, but snug. Also make sure that your air/gas mix screw (middle one) is properly set. Turn that screw all the way to the right until it snugly tightened, then un-screw it 1 and 1/2 turns.
The idle adjustment screw, well, that ones a bit tricky, since not all bikes are the same. Mine, I change weekly, depends on the weather for my bike for some reason.

Give the screw method a try first, and then proceed to try the other carb methods with the seafoam again or the starting fluid.

I hope that helps. Ozzimo, what city are you in? Near Milwaukee, Wisconsin?

Hope that helps again!!!!

Chris
Owner of K-Man Auto, Scooters, & Electric Cars
Home of Wisconsin's First Street Legal DOT Licensed Electric Cars!
http://KmanScooters.com
http://MilwaukeeEV.com
mikeb
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeb »

well that's bad if you yourself are dribbling gas and oil on the ground, but if it's coming from the bike, look at the exhaust manifold. that's usually where something like that will come from when you are dumping gas and trying to start the bike without it actually starting.

not the end of the world, but you are dropping all the crap in your exhaust too.

it actually sounds like you have a petcock issue and it's getting too much gas at the moment. that's the only time i've seen bikes drop gas/oil like that, so on a side note, check the petcock for correct operation. otherwise you might have reassembled the float and/or needle incorrectly and it never stops the gas flow.

i think now would be a good time to check the tech section and read up on carb assembly. it's really not hard and should only take 20 min from start to finish, so you might as well learn it now.

btw - your bike won't start with that much gas going in it - so you might as well get to the root of the problem now.
1980 motobecane sebring : 1989 razz : 1985 spree : 1987 spree : 1986 spree : 2002 yamaha vino :1971 cb100 : 1998 civic : 2002 s2000
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'm betting he hooked the fuel line into the manifold instead of the carb and flooded the bottom end with raw gas.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

noiseguy wrote:I'm betting he hooked the fuel line into the manifold instead of the carb and flooded the bottom end with raw gas.

eeee, i might have..... i'll have to check tomarrow.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If you did, remove the exhaust and spark plug and crank it over a bit to get some of the excess gas out, then restart it.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

just for reference sake, the top tube goes to the top most connecter and the bottom to the bottom right?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

At the petcock, the top line is fuel, bottom is vacuum and goes to the manifold. They're different sizes as well.

You might also have not put the float bowl valve in right, this will cause this type of flooding. The carb bowl overfills and spills into the bottomend.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

ok, new problem. Opened everything up things are good and I can get the motor to spark and puff smoke. Problem now seems to be that the throttle is stuck too far forward. (aka its constantly giving gas) which may be the problem that caused the leaking. How might i fix this?

EDIT: updated, ok i got the throttle worked out great. Got it started with lots of white/grey smoke which im told is from the seafoam. Last thing looks like its the idle speed. Heres how I have my carb set up: Top most screw with spring on it I have 6 turns from tight. This is where I had it before hand I think. Middle screw is smallish and clicks when i turn it. i assumed that was the idle screw and made that 2 turns from tight. Last in the screw i've been using to drain the bowl and i've been keeping that very close to tight. maybe a 1/4 turn. Am i close?
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

ok, I'm now fairly sad. I thought I had fixed my "bogging" problem with the seafoam and carb clean. But alas i still am bogging (aka dropping in speed accompanied by a deeper sound from the engine, almost like a fart or a raspberry) as I reach about 20 MPH. Is this a throttle problem? It did this before I removed the carb by the way...
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

going from bottom: First screw (exact bottom of carb) is drain screw, make it snug; next screw up (without spring) is the air adjustment screw, should be about 1 1/2 turns out from tight; then the one with the spring on it is the idle speed adjustment screw I honestly thing 6 turns out is a little much...I think someone said about 2-3 turns out from snug.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

try cleaning your muffler it might be cloged up
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

or your exhust port like mine was on my elite.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC