AARG! Elite still wont run. Compression test results.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

starhunter
BMX
BMX

AARG! Elite still wont run. Compression test results.

Post by starhunter »

So I just threw a new engine in the Elite the other night and replaced the battery. Earlier today I got good compression and tested for spark at the plug. I figure if those two are in order the problem is fuel.

I took the filter off and dumped some premix in the carb and got a light 'glub' with the elec. start or kicker and then nothing each time. When I removed the two hoses from the petcock and ran a vacuum to the manifold hose I was getting gas out of the carb hose but I'm not sure if its making it into the carb, or if that's my problem. Is this the time for a few squirts of starting fluid?

I seriously need advice on this one. Next step? Freshen up the carb or check for any faulty electrical connections? Where else could the problem lie?

thanks in advance.
Last edited by starhunter on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

ok is it get vacume, clean your carb, make sure your carb is ajusted right.
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Clean the carb, check out the air filter (is it in place?). Sounds like you have compression and fire.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

I'm gonna do the starting fluid trick this afternoon in our 100º + temperature. whether it works or not I'll also be pulling the carb and airbox.

Thanks for all the help. Tons of info from the elders and tech docs on this board. thanks guys!
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

UPDATE: I pulled the carb and airbox. The filter is in place, the carb had gas in the bowl and fuel line so I guess I just need to clean it up a bit. Off the cuff I would guess the jet coming out of the bowl is clogged.
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

Still not turning over?

I checked the air filter, I guess it just needs to be oiled again. Also removed the rubbers from the carb and soaked it with the bottom bowl off in Seafoam for about an hour.

After hosing it clean with an air compressor I replaced it and added some starting fluid to see if anything might happen. I'm now getting what sounds like an 8 year old starting a pull start mower. With the kicker I hear about 2 or 3 "glub glubs" then nothing.

A few questions:

What is meant by adjust the carb? Do you mean only the air/mix screw and idle screw? And there's a nipple on the bottom by the drain screw. Should this be covered? Or is that part of the drain?

After the last engine went out the bike sat for a few months while I decided/learned what I had to do to get it running again. I was definately getting spark before, but should I replace the plug anyhow?

Do I need a fuel stablizer for the bike sitting those few months? I've only had to use it once on a car before after a year.

thanks guys.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

not turning over so it must be seized right?
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

no the engine only glubs when the engine is free, and did u cheack ur reeds
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

darat- the engine just doesnt complete a cycle. I've got compression and I can hear that its not seized.

Myspree - what am I checking the reeds for? buildup or breakdown of the reed material?

Anything on what is meant by adjusting the carb? air/mix and idle screw? and do I need a hose attached to the vac. nipple under the carb bowl?
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

If it can't do a full revolution, check for things that are blocking it from doing a full revolution. I have a STIHL 039 chainsaw (64 cc's, bigger than my Elite) that I rebuilt, but used used bearings with degrading seals for the crank. One day, it wouldn't do a full revolution. I tore it down, and a chunk of bearing seal was stuck between the crank counterweight, and the bottom of the crankcase.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Deadish battery? Unlubed starter parts?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

it wont do a full stroke maybe the rod is bent or something like that. it has to be internal
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
2strokerAce
BMX
BMX

Post by 2strokerAce »

Go ahead and change the plug. When I got my elite 50 it was getting a spark but didn't start up until after I changed the plug. After I got it going...very roughly...I then cleaned ---very thoroughly--- the carb and made proper adjustments. By spec, airscrew should be out 1 7/8 for an SB50 and 1 3/4 for an SB50P...not sure if you have an SA or not.

Also, make sure the idle jet is clear. It's the smaller one next to the main jet...it took me FOREVER to get it cleared...but that helped alot.
<b>Scooter: 1989 Honda Elite E
Moped: 1978 Batavus Starflite HS-50
Noped: 1978 Honda Express NC50
Noped: 1982 Honda Express NC50
Wanted: 198x Honda Spree</b>
2strokerAce
BMX
BMX

Post by 2strokerAce »

Also, don't worry about a drain tube. If you have one, just stick it through one of the holes between the tire and engine. Otherwise, don't sweat it.
<b>Scooter: 1989 Honda Elite E
Moped: 1978 Batavus Starflite HS-50
Noped: 1978 Honda Express NC50
Noped: 1982 Honda Express NC50
Wanted: 198x Honda Spree</b>
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

it seems my terminology is tripping up the replies. By 'doesn't do a full cycle' I mean 'doesnt go vroom, just a brump, brump' while cranking.

The battery was purchased new last week so I'm sure that's not the problem. When I tested for spark, I knew it was getting to the plug but didnt check at the post so I'm replacing that to make sure. Seems to be a hard plug to find in town so I'll be going to austin for it.

If things dont start looking up for it I'll soon be offering payment for assistance.

Right now I'm dealing with the spark plug, afterwards I'll be tearing the carb down completely.