Base Gasket wont seal... Low compression

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bkaab
Noob
Noob

Base Gasket wont seal... Low compression

Post by bkaab »

Ok so last year I over reved the engine going down hill and the piston rings let go. I just ordered a new piston, rings, head gaskets, and base gasket.

So Ive put it all together and tested the compression and it came up at 60psi. So then I added oil into the cylinder and it will go up to 90psi but then I can see it air/smoke coming out at the base gasket.

So I guess the question is how can I get the base to seal? Is there something else wrong?
Wheelman-111

Re: Base Gasket wont seal... Low compression

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You must take the cylinder off agsin and evaluate why it isnt gas-tight. Typically crumbs of the old gasket, and it doesnt take much, foul the seal. Sometimes the surfaces aren't true, or the case halves have separated.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Re: Base Gasket wont seal... Low compression

Post by JJ Joseph »

bkaab wrote:So I guess the question is how can I get the base to seal? Is there something else wrong?
You might have 2 things that need attention: 1. new gasket needed, & 2. rings not sealing. If your jug is scored, the compression will stay low. It's real hard to start at 60psi, but possible. Better to take the jug off and do it right.