1986 Aero 50 throttle/carb problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

simplejack
Noob
Noob

1986 Aero 50 throttle/carb problem

Post by simplejack »

I have a 1986 Aero 50 that starts and will idle, but cuts out whenever the throttle is pulled back. at the moment i am able to quickly open then close the throttle to get a little increase in rpms from the engine, but not enough or long enough to get going anywhere, im pretty new to this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ClemSpree
Spree
Spree

Re: 1986 Aero 50 throttle/carb problem

Post by ClemSpree »

Does this warm and cold? Did the scoot previously run well?

Check air filter, clean carb, check bystarter, check fuel flow, look for air leaks.
84 Aero125 Goldie, For Sale, parts bikes too
09 Stella For Sale
86 Razz
87 YSR50
56 LD150
79 P200
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

It might not seem like it but you're probably really close to having a fully running scooter. Check everything clem said above and make note of what size of main jet you have while cleaning the carb (it should have a number stamped on it, #80 is stock if I remember right). If it hasn't been running in a long time its always good practice to replace the spark plug and air filter as well.

If its not something on the intake side a plugged muffler could be the source of the problem (more likely to be carb/airbox though).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
simplejack
Noob
Noob

Post by simplejack »

thanks guys, after reading some other topics i found out that the problem is with the mixture being too lean, basically i took off the air box and put my hand over the carb intake and revd the engine and got the throttle all the way open for a couple seconds, so now im just waiting on a new air filter, but i think i still need some help with adjusting the carb. i checked the fuel flows fine and the bystarter works properly.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Might as well clean the carb while you're waiting on that air filter, there could also be some gunk in the main jet (unless your airfilter was obviously bad).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold