scooter sputtering and popping soft seize?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

crimespree
Spree
Spree

scooter sputtering and popping soft seize?

Post by crimespree »

Hey all I was riding my scooter tonight. Still breaking it in with a polini kit. Have about 30 miles. It started popping and sputtering no power but idles well for the most part. I'm afraid to start it. Specs are. 90main 47mm polini stock box and exhaust. Running pump and 65:1 in the tank. Had the cylinder off earlier and noticed vertical scoring on the intake side of the cylinder around the ports. Book says 1 1/4 turn out on af mixture. I'm closer to 1 3/4 or 2 turns
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: scooter sputtering and popping soft seize?

Post by swimmingfree »

you shood never take a new top end for long ride short ride at first and letting it cool down ... are the rings stuck to the piston??? are the scoring marks deep anuff to snag you finger nail in ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

My ride last night was only about 4 miles. Not wot either. I haven't taken the cyl off since it started sputtering. I will probably do it Monday. And yes I could feel scoring with my fingernails. I've been going very easy on my scooter. But I've had so many setbacks. I might just trash the whole pos
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Is that a little light on the oil? Dont kits need more than 65:1 on break in? The spree kit uses 32:1 in the tank and the oil pump

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

I went with some math I read on here for running premix and pump. I didn't think to run 32:1 pre mix as well..... Shoot. Is that what most people do?
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

i just pulled the cyl and piston. everything looks OK, whew. no heat spots from soft seize on the piston it was very very oily inside and all over. so i am hoping that it was probably running too rich. i dont really have the tools for a plug chop to get everything right. i know ive been running it more rich than lean. i figured it was better to foul a plug than blow up a piston. so would someone please tell me proper break in, the vertical scoring i can feel with my fingernail. HARDLY so faint i might be imagining it because i see it.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

tools for a plug chop to get everything right????? yes you do pull the plus and look at the color black bad brow like a candy bar good .. white is leen ..... whats the setting on the carb air screw and the pin on the slide is the jet a 90 or is that a guess.. do you have bigger jet on hand???
as for break in is not hard start the scooter let it idle till it worm about 10 to 15 mines .. repeat a fue time (5 to 8 times ) do short run but dont go over 30 mph do this for about the first 50 miles after this you can go wot for short run... for the next 100 miles
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Run 32:1 and the pump. Stop riding it, just let it idle then let it cool. Then very short rides.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Are you running stock head with that kit? If so your compression is probably too high. Check you compression. Air mixture screw is going to want to be around 1/2 to 1 turn out. To adjust for small stock pilot jet. Try it around 3/4 of a turn out.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yup way better to foul a plug than squeek the motor ;-) the heat cycle thing really works :-) it is really hard not to just hop on and ride when its just sitting there on idle, I did my spree last week so I know ;-) I just let it idle and go inside and do something else and come back to check the temps then shut it down and go do more of something else while it cools. It was tough fighting the urge to ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

Thanks for all the tips guys ill start heat cycling it this week and just do beer runs at the corner store. Should I worry about the scoring? Piston has no marks on it. Just cyl. Checked psi its about 110-120 cold.
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

It is defiantly a 90 jet
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

When I pulled the piston and cyl it was literally dripping with oil on the bottom end. How much should I be looking for.
crimespree
Spree
Spree

Post by crimespree »

There is a picture of my plug in my build thread. I didn't take a picture of my crowning but it looks correct. Chocolate brown with even intake marks
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

get a temp guage like the TTO
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe