86 Spree drive pulley hitting electric motor?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cspree616
Noob
Noob

86 Spree drive pulley hitting electric motor?

Post by cspree616 »

I have an 86 Spree and when I started it the other day it seemed louder than normal under the Kickstart cover so I rode it for a day or 2 and it ran fine but it sounded like the drive pulley was hitting something especially when I would slow down. So I took it off last night and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary accept the drive pulley was hitting the electric start which I don't use. Is this normal and does it even need to be there I took a video of it this morning. http://youtu.be/0_vQQXse0N4
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 86 Spree drive pulley hitting electric motor?

Post by swimmingfree »

you are pushing your luck by running the motor with out the side cover on it!!! as for how it being louder it sonds like a spree to me...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
cspree616
Noob
Noob

Post by cspree616 »

I took it off while it was idling I know the risk of actually driving it without it on it will rip the electrical system apart. I took it out and sounds better but my muffler seems to be clogged now :(
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

The cover is the thing that prevents that starter pinion from moving outward, not having the cover in place is a REALLY bad idea. If that bike was tipped just a tiny bit, or if a butterfly broke wind nearby, the pinion could have moved a bit outward and the teeth on your drive gears would be toast.