88 Elite LX wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

broke-chanic
BMX
BMX

88 Elite LX wont start

Post by broke-chanic »

Hey all,

I'm having a * of a time trying to get my Elite 50 running. I check compression (128), cleaned carb (fully dismantled and cleaned), pulled and emptied gas tank and oil tanks and check for spark (good with new plug). It will run for a second on starter fluid, yes I know this is bad but only did it once. I wanted to make absolutely sure it was a fuel issue. I'm thinking I should check carbon build up on the exhaust side of the jug but with only 450 original miles on the bike I cant see that being an issue.. What do you guys think? I'm I missing a something?

On running pre-mix on a stock AF05e is it just 50:1 gas/oil mix? I don't trust the oil injector to work properly at this time.. What do you guys suggest? Thank you in advance! :newb:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 88 Elite LX wont start

Post by mousewheels »

Sometimes the vacuum petcock gets stuck closed or the internal filter screen in the tank gets clogged.

You could provide an external source of fuel to fill the carb bowl. If it still wont fire, carb still needs work.. otherwise - check out the tank/petcock.
broke-chanic
BMX
BMX

Post by broke-chanic »

Oops forgot to mention I did run the vacuum test and fuel did flow nicely when vacuum was applies. I did make sure the carb bowl was filled with fuel by pulling the drain plug and gas did pour out as expected. I did notice that there was no signs of oil though hence running pre-mix.. Am I on track? This is a first for me working on these small 2 stroke engines. Thank you again for all your help..
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The oil pump does not usually fail to pump. It only puts out a drop or so every 10 sec at idle. If you want when you get the scooter running, put a small air bubble into the outlet tube, and watch for it to move very slowly...

Since you have fuel in carb bowl, I'd say re-check the pilot (idle) jet is clear, and that the small hole from the main carb bowl to bystarter is clear. Those are the two which need to be clear at startup.
broke-chanic
BMX
BMX

Post by broke-chanic »

Thank you! I will give that a try. Keep you posted.
broke-chanic
BMX
BMX

Post by broke-chanic »

OK, I figured out the problem :thumbsup:.. Don't laugh but the problem was that I had the carb slide on backwards... After taking the carb apart again and cleaning the shiot out of it for the third time and check everything else over for the third time I took a look at the carb from the air box view a saw my mistake which I probably did wrong three times.. :woot: she's running now! Now I just have to adjust the idle and she should be good to go hopefully... Thanks for all that chimed in giving me tips on what to check.. :geekdance: