belt

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

belt

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

i know i can get a new belt at the honda dealer for $30 but thats really steep for a belt!!! so i was wondering if anyone knows the specs for the belt so i can go to autozone and get a new one for $5
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

Also, how hard is the belt to change? Is there like a tensioner or something?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

No tensioner. You will need an air impact to get the nut off that holds clutch and nut that holds drive pully. Comes off easy with impact wrench.
OZZYDUDE
Noob
Noob

Re: belt

Post by OZZYDUDE »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:i know i can get a new belt at the honda dealer for $30 but thats really steep for a belt!!! so i was wondering if anyone knows the specs for the belt so i can go to autozone and get a new one for $5
I tried to do what you are thinking but it's very difficult to find one the same length and width. It's better just to eat the $30 rather than the aggrevation.
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

I tried it with a $6 V belt designed for an electric motor, and it was about 1/2 thick, not thin like my original. Worked, but it couldn't bend tight enough. Hurt myself trying to get it on. Low end power was non existent; I had to use my feet to get going. :D Worked alright after that.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

V BELTS

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

V BELTS COME IN TWO WIDTHS, INDUSTRIAL AND AUTOMOTIVE. YOU NEED AN AUTOMOTIVE (THIN) BELT TO WORK ON A SPREE. I BELIEVE THE AUTOMOTIVE BELT IS THE SAME SIZE AS A FRACTIONAL HORSE POWER BELT (FHP), 9 MM WIDE X 5 MM HIGH.
THE WIDER INDUSTRIAL BELT WONT FIT DOWN INTO THE PULLEYS.
slowaero
Goped
Goped

Post by slowaero »

$30 over 15-20 years is pretty cheap. I'm replacing one ona 1987 Aero- its first. My last bike I got from 1987 to 2004 with the same belt and sold it. It did shows some threads and oxidation.

Anyone using a Polini Kevlar belt? At least I'd get another 15 years on it?