just started to mod a 2000 elite s i need help!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ANYHONDA
Noob
Noob

just started to mod a 2000 elite s i need help!

Post by ANYHONDA »

i have been asking google all kinds of questions and every answer that helped was from this site THANK YOU ALL. i have been fixing up a 2000 elite s after i was off roading it and she just died.. so.. got some new rings and gaskets after the piston didnt look too bad "from the dealer" paid good money too! anyways i broke a ring putting it all back together. oops! so i used an old one.. but she runs and hits about 125 compression, i moved during the process and lost a few parts like half of the engine cover, the small part.. not the fan cover, should i be worried about it overheating?and i had to bypass the bystarter also and that took me about 3 days to figure out. i ended up using a penny to plug the hole and then the fun began back and forth to the computer reading about 20 posts about the bystarter and ended up plugging the 2 air holes inside the carb "intake" i guess youd call it and it runs GOOD! almost too good. unrestricted the exhaust and clutch and i am just worried she is gonna blow! it used to run about 26 mph now its like 40! i zip tied the oil pump all the way open and still put about 2 ounces of oil in the tank.
2000 elite s
87 tecate 4
lefan trail70?
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Re: just started to mod a 2000 elite s i need help!

Post by kingearwig »

I ran the stock bore for a whole summer with no motor plastics at all with no problem. It wasn't until i put on a bbk that i had problems with over heating. I will say that is dangerous to run with plastic piece missing that you are talking about but I would do it. just make sure you are running a little rich on the main jet.
However I am sure someone on this forum has the piece you need and will probably sell it to you pretty cheaply. Ask around.
ANYHONDA
Noob
Noob

Post by ANYHONDA »

thanks for the reply.. im scared to take it more than a 1/4 mile from home i have the stock everything on it including the jet. what would you reccomend and other than a little smoke coming from the exhaust how can i tell if im too lean? what should my plug look like? and im running the mixture screw at stock setting 1 and 7/8 turns.
2000 elite s
87 tecate 4
lefan trail70?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

When you premix without upjetting, you are leaning out the air /fuel mixture. The 2oz of oil will displace 2oz of gas. The You need to upjet from the S to the SR main jet when you open the exhaust and air box tab. Going another size bigger for premix and no engine shrouds would be better.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
ANYHONDA
Noob
Noob

Post by ANYHONDA »

OK, thank you for the reply... i have just figured out i have an older model elite air box 2 of them somehow? and that seems to be my problem, its just too small I'm guessing. it will run almost 40 with no filter but as soon as i put the filter in it just chokes it out and barely runs. i cleaned and lightly oiled the oil filter and it blew smoke like never before so i pulled the filter out again and she ran at least but im pretty sure i fouled my plug. there is a rubber insert in the older elite airbox that i pulled out. im thinking i will have to drill some holes. where should i drill them and what size holes? i was thinking 1/2 inch and just keep drilling until it has the right "vacuum"?? and also raising or lowering the needle wont help? i thought i read something about that?? or will i have to get a stock SR jet kit? and no engine shrouds would be better? i have to have that fan cover on it at least right? the other half i am missing dosent seem to hurt it i have a rc car temp reader a little digital one and was checking it and i didnt even break 200 i heard 350 was normal or at least ok. BUT like you said my mixture is all messed up. thank you for the input...
2000 elite s
87 tecate 4
lefan trail70?
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

you can usually fix a fouled plug by hitting it with the propane torch til it glows red for a while. to check for lean/rich status research "plug chop" If you run with no air filter you will be too lean at idle and risk burning up. If you are blowing smoke with the stock filter oiled... if nothing else id wrong... I would say that you must have a larger than stock main jet. You should get some jets, put the air box on and plug chop til you find the right jet size for use with the air box... also check out this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27958
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

what oil did you use for you filter.It needs 20/50 motor oil soak it hard then ring it out
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
ANYHONDA
Noob
Noob

Post by ANYHONDA »

i used some AMS oil 2 stroke oil. but i have some 20/50 and will try that thanks for that info i did not know what oil to use..
2000 elite s
87 tecate 4
lefan trail70?
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Why would you premix a stock block :crazy: you must have gotten some info mixed up?
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

clean the 2 stroke out with petrol then use the 20/50
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
ANYHONDA
Noob
Noob

Post by ANYHONDA »

because i dont know what the F im doing with these things. i am all mixed up! with this whole split cable /oil injector/ zip tie this/ drill this out/ new jet that/ pop this hole. i was just trying to make sure i wasnt too lean. i know a little about 2 strokes but this thing isnt like any other 2 strokes i ever had. mix the gas pour it in and keep the Rs up. that seemed to work for me for years. im messing with a whole nother insect here.. but im learning.
2000 elite s
87 tecate 4
lefan trail70?