OIL, Synthetic or Regular.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mustang Man
Noob
Noob

OIL, Synthetic or Regular.

Post by Mustang Man »

I went to my local "Cycle Gear" store for some 2 cycle oil. They only had synthetic. My question is, is Synthetic recommended over regular 2 cycle oil? For a 20 something year old bike I have my doubts. What is everyone else using?
MM
motormike

Re: OIL, Synthetic or Regular.

Post by motormike »

I have been using Motul semi-synthetic in all my 2-strokes.
I have sampled Amsoil full synthetic also.
I believe I could actually feel the difference with Amsoil. (over the natural oils) :thumbwink:
The bike seemed to be "free-er" and smoother.
No scientific commentary here,...but the use of natural, semi-synth, or full-synth, IMHO, none will cause anything bad to happen to the motor.
I will continue to buy Motul Semi-Synthetic and use it in my TG50M Gyro, NU50M Urban Express, and NH125 Aero.
My 1990 NS50F performed perfectly for 1 1/2 years of very hard riding while being given Motul regularly, and that motor has never been opened and is still hitting a mean lick...for the new owner.
The "OIL" question is one that has been discussed extensively on every moto-forum, so much is out there for you to read if you go looking.... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Any oil that keeps you from seizing and doesn't decimate the neighborhood with acrid smoke is Good Enough. Synthetically-produced base stocks control the hydrocarbon chain length more precisely. The N length (How many carbons in the chain) can be important in ensuring good lubrication at various temperatures. Regular oil stocks are distilled from crude, and the result is a bigger range in molecule length. Regular oil can be shown to smoke (and burn) at lower temperatures than Synthetic stuff. Whether or not that matters in a given engine is up for debate. Myself, I use Synthetic, and will unless someone gives me a good reason - besides price - to do otherwise.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bbrmotosports
Goped
Goped

Post by bbrmotosports »

I run klotz r50 in all my 2 strokes. I'm a synthetic guy but oil debates can go on for days
84 Mod spree
13 CBR500R
11 CBR250R
05 CR125R
04 KTM450SX
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

im a full sythentic guy aswell
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

i run full synthetic on building new motor.
Meejacob
Spree
Spree

Post by Meejacob »

Some people down here in Hawaii run non synthetic for break in and switch to synthetic after. Idk I like to run synthetic from the get go. Amsoil Dominator is good and is very affordable is bought by the Gallon. 1 Gallon for 36.85 over here
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

After 5500 miles, I open up n look no heat seize or scratches piston n cylinder polini contesta.

I ran Silkolene 2 stroke premix oil and less hassle to tune jetting non synthetic oil.

I dont waste time tune dino oil to synthetic oil.
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

I use left over peanut oil from the fryer. Smells like french fries when the engine is running.
89 Elite E
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

hi forum. I always thought regular Honda oil has a bigger molecule. where synthetic has a smaller molecules. I use Honda gn2 regular oil. makes a little more smoke then synthetic. but the price is $7. a quart. I have tried a synthetic strawberry smelling oil. I think Silkolene makes it. good smell but pricey.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Pete M wrote:I use left over peanut oil from the fryer. Smells like french fries when the engine is running.
Mcfries or king fries????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

When I don't order online, I get my oil from Cycle gear too.. they have 3 oils in stock for Oil injected bikes
Red Line
Motul 710
Castrol RS

I Put them in order of price per ounce. the red line is EXPENSIVE! and very thin so I'm afraid to use it.

Actually the best luck I had was with the Motul 710,, Runs great and no s.plooge. the Castrol is a bit thinner and I get a small bit of s.plooge coming out of my tailpipe, (but I run oil my injector wide open)

I had my Cycle Gear store order me Maxima "Scooter Pro" which is a semi synthetic. and frankly it was awesome. (Looks Like Motul Scooter Expert has almost identical specs.)

If you do not ride daily, like me, Then semi syn or conventional oils are better at clinging to the internal parts of the engine when sitting. Different horses for different courses.

I'm using the rest of my ELF Scooter Fortissimo (Had to buy 6 litres to get a deal) then I'm going back to the maxima (red scooter pro, NOT the yellow maxima "scooter oil" that's more of a "classic" scooter oil).

for my Aprilia RS(70) I will not use anything but full synthetic, but that revs to 12,000 RPM and will never s.plooge since it runs so hot.

(WOW this site edits S.plooge It's a common 2 stroke term)
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

injector or premix oil ??
premix I use Klotz r50
Mustang Man wrote:I went to my local "Cycle Gear" store for some 2 cycle oil. They only had synthetic. My question is, is Synthetic recommended over regular 2 cycle oil? For a 20 something year old bike I have my doubts. What is everyone else using?
MM
HPIM0038.JPG
HPIM0038.JPG (162.62 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850