Painting Plastics

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bata Bata
Noob
Noob

Painting Plastics

Post by Bata Bata »

I have two sets of red plastics (85 and 86). I am thinking of painting one set, possibly changing the color.

I am interested in tips, tricks and traps of painting plastic, especially in the prep work. So far, my experience is with rattle can paint on metal, although the results have been acceptable. (Of course, my standard is: Can you see it from my house?) :smile:
bbrmotosports
Goped
Goped

Re: Painting Plastics

Post by bbrmotosports »

Scuff it down with a grey 3m scuff pad, clean it with a prep solvent or rubbing alcohol and spray it.
84 Mod spree
13 CBR500R
11 CBR250R
05 CR125R
04 KTM450SX
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

Buy rustoleum paint for plastic. It coat the same as the regular kind and gives you better results!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

There's a rattle can paint and rubout posted here -- http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 16&t=27460
bbrmotosports
Goped
Goped

Post by bbrmotosports »

After reading that thread on painting I can tell you 250 grit paper is way to course. I'm an automotive collision/ restoration painter. I paint cars every day. Use either a grey or red sotch brite pad clean it and spray it. You don't need any kind of primer or adheason promotor if it's sanded or you use something like krylon fusion that is meant for plastic parts.
84 Mod spree
13 CBR500R
11 CBR250R
05 CR125R
04 KTM450SX