Snapped one of the cylinder mounting bolts.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

el_walto
BMX
BMX

Snapped one of the cylinder mounting bolts.

Post by el_walto »

So, almost finished installing my new kit. Was trying to tightening to 12ft/lb with torque wrench gradually in cross pattern. 3 bolts got to 12ft/lb no problem. Last one decided to snap right at the engine.

What is the best method to try to extract this bolt, maybe get someone to weld a nut to it?
Last edited by el_walto on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el_walto
BMX
BMX

Re: Snapped one of the clyendar moutning bolts.

Post by el_walto »

Wow, i managed to grab the end of the bolt with my leather-man, i figured my scooter was done for.
el_walto
BMX
BMX

Post by el_walto »

I've now learned to check service manual before the interweb , official service manual states 7ft/lb
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Yep - I was reading thinking 12 lb/ft sounded too high... Good outcome :hi:

Have you checked out our torque section on the 'wiki? Print out a copy for the shop -- Link
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Generally they'll strip first, I'm surprised to keep seeing threads of people breaking them. Know your torque values and always hand thread at least 2 360degree turns in before using any wrenches.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

LMH speaks the truth. I make sure the threads are clean, and put a single drop of oil on the threaded section. (Too much oil and the blind hole can fill up and hydrolock the fastener, guaranteeing strippage or breakage.) Then I spin the fastener in with my fingers on the socket or nut driver to just snug before I break out the torque wrench. At these low torque values, it's really easy to miss hearing the "Click" of click-type torque wrenches and keep turning after the torque has already been exceeded. For that reason, I always hold my 18"-long wrench near the socket. Even better is to use a quality dial-gauge type torque wrench. The Snap-On item I have measures inch-pounds, so 84 if you want 7 foot-pounds.

That said, the AF16 engines in my care all get 12.5 pounds and I've never yet stripped or broken one.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Re: Snapped one of the cylinder mounting bolts.

Post by patthesoundguy »

I clean my threads on the head bolts or studs before use with a thread cleaning tool that look like a pipe cutter. It makes sure there is no aluminum in the threads to mess with my torque readings. I just got a 1\4" drive inch pound torque wrench a couple weeks ago, but I always use a short 1\4 drive socket handle to minimize the amount of torque I can apply to the fastener. Never had an issue . I also make sure I thread in every bolt with a little oil and check that I can bottom out each one with no excess resistance. I'm very anal about that stuff and it pays off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock