Holes are for what?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lakehouse
Goped
Goped

Holes are for what?

Post by lakehouse »

I am one day away from completing a "save from the compactor" type of restoration on my '89 Elite. I've been working on it for about 6 months or so. As I was installing the left side panel, I noticed two holes about 3/8" diameter about an inch from the bottom edge near the rear. I cannot find anything that would go there, nor does it bolt or attach to anything on the underside. The holes look like they were done by Honda, and not from some Bubba. Anybody have any ideas what they might be for? I've attached a photo of them if it would help at all. (This is the panel after much fiberglassing and Bondo work, plus paint and a little striping for bling!)
Attachments
100_3024.jpg
100_3024.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Re: Holes are for what?

Post by Dio89Elite »

I would venture to guess that these were for making adjustments to the stock carburetor without having to take off the side panel. I had an 89 too but the engine was upgraded (to an Elite S). Your panel looks great, your hard work is starting to show!
Last edited by Dio89Elite on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

As soon as I saw the photo you posted, I thought of the time I got fed up with taking the side panel off just to access a screw which was obscured, so I just drilled a hole so I could easily adjust or loosen something more easily.
I have not owned an sb50 but I don't think Honda put those holes there. I reserve the right to be wrong. Nice paint job by the way! :)

(edit:) Like he said ^^^^^
Last edited by bonesv on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

my old dj1r and my niftyfiftys (spree) DO have holes on the left panels for carb adjustments .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
lakehouse
Goped
Goped

Post by lakehouse »

Thank you to everyone for the compliments on my work, and for the enlightenment on the holes. My only doubt would be that the holes are so far apart, yet the carb adjusting screws are only 1/2" apart (I just measured them). Maybe someone missed their mark on the first go around! I like the idea of being able to do a quickie carb tweak though with little effort. I'll check to see if they line up with the carb screws.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

I had the same two holes on a panel that I had, and they looked to be from the factory. I just couldn't figure out the weird spacing, perhaps they actually ran the same panels for different engine/carb combinations in different market areas would be my guess.

Since you're already doing bondo work on your panels, take a look if the holes are useable to your application. If not you could fill them up and repaint, then bore holes in the place(s) that will be useful.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

+1 for having a purpose - Honda put holes in the lower trim for the similar PAL model on the carb side.
Honda_Pal.jpg
Honda_Pal.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
I wondered a while if the holes were part of trim mounting (and had covers) but found a pic of parts being re-painted, and only the left side had holes.
Honda_Pal_lower_trim.JPG
Honda_Pal_lower_trim.JPG (23 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Aero had 'em too. Definitely for carb adjustment on that model.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
lakehouse
Goped
Goped

Post by lakehouse »

I guess I should have looked before I leaped on this one I think. But it was late and I was tired when I posted it initially. Had I got down on the floor after I installed the side panel and looked up, I would have seen that both carb adjusting screws can be accessed from the forward most hole. The rear hole is to facilitate the removal of the airbox cover for cleaning and/or replacement of the air filter. Quite ingenious in my opinion. That's why I have always been a Honda advocate!
Attachments
100_3032.jpg
100_3032.jpg (66.19 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
100_3031.jpg
100_3031.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

ah nice. that explains the second farther hole. cool. thanks for your observation! :)
You did a great job on the panels. :worship: clear is shiney! :nerd: :thumbsup:
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Mine has the same holes and good on you for figuring it out.
89 Elite E