Spree runs only with rear brake applied....Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Spree runs only with rear brake applied....Help

Post by Spirit of 95 »

A change of subject was needed and the old topic buried. If I let go of the rear brake after my spree starts it will quit. I am quite sure this is an electrical issue. Does the kickstand need to be up? Is there a switch that needs to be adjusted? Can I just disable needing the brake to start?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

take your horn cover off and the speedo cover off, and make sure the wireing is right before we jump to any big short conclutions
marnargulus
Noob
Noob

Post by marnargulus »

Does this happen with both brakes or just with the left one?
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

Actually just rode it a little. It seems to run great if I hold the brake and if I let go it will run erratically till it stalls. Any ideas?
hondaspree86er
BMX
BMX

Post by hondaspree86er »

mine used to do the same thing believit or not my taillight bulb was burnt out all i did was replace it and it worked fine
35 mph 1986 Honda Spree with intake mod 2242 miles and excellent plastic
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

That helps alot. I do not have the lighting connected at the moment. I will work on that next. BTW....What kind of bulb do I need? I bought the Spree without a taillight bulb
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

DOUBLE FILIMENT
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

Any double filiment bulb (that fits)? Also, in connecting the wires to the taillight there is a brown wire and a green w/ yellow stripe that was easy enough to connect. But there are two plain green wires from the tail light going to a plain green and green w/ black stripe. Getting close but still can use assistance.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

are u sure it isnt a carb issue?

if you let the bike sit on the stand does the rear wheel try spinning right as you turn it on? if so u need to readjust idle speed.

if it really only does stay running when the brake is applied then maybe it is an electrical issue..
projects galore :nerd:
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

Yes. That is exactly what it does. I am quite sure it is an electrical issue. If I let go of the brake handle and pull back it is like I am revving up the motor with the brake.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

DUDE TAKE OFF YOU SPEEDO CPVER NAD HORN COVER NAD MAKE SURE ALL THE WIRES ARE CONNECTED RIGHT! SERIOUSLY! START WITH THE SIMPLIST THINGS
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

I did that. No need to be angry. Couldn't find anything disconnected. I was NOT jumping to any short conclusions. But I do have a wire from where the taillight is coming from that I am not sure what it is. It looks like a ground wire from the wiring diagram but I am not sure. It has a connection then goes up into the frame above the rear tire.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I've heard of this happening before (not running without brake apply)... the taillight is an interesting insight. If you can't figure out the bulb, d/l the service manual and look the number up. Wiring diagram is also there.

Otherwise, check your chassis grounds (also listed in manual.) They are the most likely suspect. If that isn't it, we'll have to work through the wiring diagram to diagnose.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

I found a taillight bulb and it does work, both just running and brighter when the brake is on. I will check the chassis grounds when I have a chance and report back.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Spirit of 95 wrote:Any double filiment bulb (that fits)? Also, in connecting the wires to the taillight there is a brown wire and a green w/ yellow stripe that was easy enough to connect. But there are two plain green wires from the tail light going to a plain green and green w/ black stripe. Getting close but still can use assistance.
1157 is the bulb number for the tailight.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***