I think I saw rust in the tank...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Justin80
Goped
Goped

I think I saw rust in the tank...

Post by Justin80 »

Took a flashlight and I think I saw a flake of rust in the gas tank. Is this a super bad thing that has to immediately be fixed or will a good filter keep it at bay?

I'm just trying to get this thing running.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: I think I saw rust in the tank...

Post by Mystic »

Evaporust at AutoZone is awesome for 7 bucks, swish it around fir a couple days and u should be good. If just one flake I wouldn't worry about it myself swish some gas, pour it out, and get on with business. An inline fuel filter woulnt hurt I don't guess
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

The tank can easily be removed and shaken upside down to get the fuel out, rinse with some clean fuel. The petcock has a fuel filter screen on it, clean it off and it should stop most large particles. Some others have had fuel restrictions when adding additional filters, so while that seems like a good idea, it could possibly cause an issue ( or not ) .
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Mr.Honda
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr.Honda »

The first thing to do is identify the source of the rust, otherwise the problem will come back. It's possibly caused by ethanol in gasoline which attracts moisture. Rust is formed from steel or iron (iron oxide II) reacting with water in the presence of oxygen. So if anything is steel or iron it can rust.

I'd take a look at the fuel pump too.

There are many ways to remove rust. I think Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) is a good way to go, as the chemistry makes sense. Iron oxide reacts with phosphoric acid to form ferric phosphate. (more commonly known as Iron Phosphate) this will convert 100% of rust into iron phosphate a semi corrosion resistant film. People seem to be happy with Evaporust, however it's hard to say how it will work without knowing the chemistry. Naval jelly will take more work but it will help stop future rust, even if you don't figure out the cause.

I'm fond of saying...An ounce of troubleshooting is worth a pound of cure. Good luck.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Or search Bubble Toil and Trouble here.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH