Gotta love Carbs!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Gotta love Carbs!

Post by Supermario1256 »

Ok, got a new carb, popped it on and one of the tubes on the bottom of it is just pouring gas. Ive tried to adjust the screws but im worried lack of experience is coming into play. maybe im just tuning it wrong? or could there be another issue? Any help/advice and ill love you forever. Ive looked through the manual and browsed on here but there isnt much related to my issue that i saw. :(

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
bonesv

Re: Gotta love Carbs!

Post by bonesv »

Supermario1256 wrote:Ok, got a new carb, popped it on and one of the tubes on the bottom of it is just pouring gas. Ive tried to adjust the screws but im worried lack of experience is coming into play. maybe im just tuning it wrong? or could there be another issue? Any help/advice and ill love you forever. Ive looked through the manual and browsed on here but there isnt much related to my issue that i saw. :(
Where did you get the new carb from? Which scooter did you mount it, what year and model?
Does it do this all the time or just when it is being started?
Giving this information will allow someone to help. Maybe some pics, if you can?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

I went to the local honda shop, the numbers match to the old one. I'll post pictures in a second. It's a 1999 honda elite SR sa50p. It's running better with the carb on there it's just peeing everywhere. It's kinda like a Volkswagen, leaks oil to mark it's turf. Only in this case it's gas.

Edit* it's constantly pumping gas through. It took almost a full tank to get from my parents house to my house( it's about a 4 mile trip). I've tightened the screw on the left and it's slowed it down but it's still pumping it out.
Last edited by Supermario1256 on Wed May 14, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

The pink tub on the left is leaking gas. Is it a possibility that I've hooked the gas hose and oil hose in the wrong spots?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 7701 times

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

the float is stuck in the carb...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

I'm heading home now to take it apart and stuff. Now just to make sure I'm right, the float is the round donut thing right? Or is it the little missle shaped thing?

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

float is the round donut thing ..lol
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
VW505
Noob
Noob

Post by VW505 »

I used to sell car parts back in the day. Any time we sold a carb there was paper that they had to sign stating that the floats had to be checked before putting it on the car. Always check the floats and check the jet size before bolting on any carb.
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

Does the little thing in my fingers go in the hole where I have it pointing? That's right under the float and that's where I had it before. The float is notched for it to go in it. At least it looks like it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 7691 times

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

> The pink tub on the left is leaking gas.
That is the bowl drain tube. Check that the screw in the bottom of the bowl is closed, and clean the carb bowl if needed.

> Does the little thing in my fingers go in the hole where I have it pointing?
Yes - that is the float valve. Check it's rubber tip for wear and the seat in carb body for squeaky clean.
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

mousewheels wrote:> The pink tub on the left is leaking gas.
That is the bowl drain tube. Check that the screw in the bottom of the bowl is closed, and clean the carb bowl if needed.

> Does the little thing in my fingers go in the hole where I have it pointing?
Yes - that is the float valve. Check it's rubber tip for wear and the seat in carb body for squeaky clean.
Only thing left to do is check that screw, all is in place. Is it the bottom silver screw on the outside of the bowl? If so should I tighten it to a snug state?

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Snug yes, but not too snug! I like to seat it to where the resistance starts, and then just a c-hair more.
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

now it wont even start. I can loosen it up and gas just pours from it for a few minutes then stops. I can get it to start at all now though. Im so lost with this. Sucks not having experience. Thanks guys for helping me, though. Im really appreciative of it.

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

From what I can see, that sure looks like the float bowl drain hose, the screw in the lower part of the float bowl is loosened to drain the bowl and tightened for normal running operation. There should be no fuel coming out of the float bowl drain hose when the drain screw is tight.
If that is correct and the bowl is draining, I would not expect it to start.
I maintain a fleet of over a dozen vintage scooters, plus my own collection, you should try to keep twenty carbs working correctly at the same time, it's a lot like that game at Chucky Cheese's , you know " BOP a MOLE" as soon as you nail one, two more pop up.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Yes the drain plug is not working. Fairly certain there is an o-ring on the drain screw. You may be missing this. If you are flowing gas out of the tube you indicated... it is not seating correctly so you dump. The petcock that allows fuel to flow to the carb will only work under vacuum (piston moving).

Get the drain screw fixed and you should be good to go. If your float needle with the rubber tip is not working.... you would be leaking from the overflow tube at the top of the carb bowl. It is good to polish the seat on this float... many write-ups on this - but again this doesn't appear to be your problem.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive