Gotta love Carbs!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Re: Gotta love Carbs!

Post by Supermario1256 »

Question. If I have the drain screw in all the way will it have any effect on how it runs? If not then I need to rethink my approach to trying to figure out why it's not starting. My luck though it will just keep leading on to more issues. At least I'm getting to learn in the process, and to be honest if it weren't for you guys I wouldn't haveade it this far. Sadly I have to work or I would still be tinkering with it. Perhaps Friday I will be able to set back and go cruising on my 2 cycle, just not today.

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Its a drain screw... for the bowl. It has little impact on running condition of your scoot. You need to fix this first. Should be simple. Are you missing the o-ring on the drain screw? One item at a time... if the fuel is draining out the bottom of your carb, then fuel will not go up to the pilot and main jets properly and impact your ability to run.
Last edited by swflcarl on Wed May 14, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

I have bought more than few non-runners.... most of them just need a good carb cleaning. The original carb is solid and awesome.... Keihin. If you replace this with a cheap knock off... then you moved backwards in lieu of forward. I have never had to replace a Keihin... just need to clean them and most of the time the only issue is the getting the pilot clear - but I have yet to find one I couldn't get clear with carb cleaner.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Supermario1256
BMX
BMX

Post by Supermario1256 »

Just an update, it's up and running back on the road! It was a double whammy of the o-ring on the drain bowl screw and the float was sticking. As for the float sticking that's all in my error. I was too afraid to tighten the screw down that holds the pin and that was the cause of one problem. The I ring wasn't seated right for some reason so I put it where it belongs and all is well now. I apologize for the delay responses. I get frustrated when it comes to working on it and quit for small periods of time lol.

My ride
'99 Honda Elite SR SA50