Need new battery

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jimmy Appel
Noob
Noob

Need new battery

Post by Jimmy Appel »

The one in my Honda Spree (or before it was mine) froze last winter (now has huge bulging sides). I noticed that the one that was in it was a Power Sonic PTX4LBS-FS, it appears to be a gel cell, will any YTX4L-BS acid battery replace it, or do I need to make sure it isn't spill-able? What do you think of buying off the internet? Seems like a foolish/good idea. Good because there cheap, foolish because I could be buying an old out dated battery.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: Need new battery

Post by Johnniespeed »

I have probably bought more scooter, jet-ski and snowmobile batteries in the last two years, than most guys will in a lifetime. When I am in a rush I buy from the local Meijer ( similar to Walmart) , they hold up well enough to sell the scooter, when I want a cheap battery, I buy off Ebay, they hold up well enough to sell the scooter. When I want quality for my personal rides, I go to my local motorcycle dealership and buy Yuasa brand, I tell them the Meijer price and politely ask if they can come close to that, every time so far, they can get within ten bucks of the cheapie battery.
Now here is the lesson in this, in the fall remove the batteries from all scooters and jet-skis store them in your basement to protect them from freezing, a battery wont freeze when it has a charge in it, but if it goes does dead it will freeze. If you absolutely cannot remove the battery, then you must diligently tickle charge the battery on a regular basis.
If your battery was more than a couple of years old, it probably was sulfated/weak anyway, so replacement was likely needed.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I paid a premium for the Yuasa brand online recently. When it arrived, the battery case looked Exactly like the cheap ones, and yes, it was Made in China. I'm not as sure that the brand still means quality as it once did.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

^ah... another similar minded individual... I thought I was the only one that had these kind of thoughts.

If I need to replace, I buy new. As long as it's the same size, and of similar specifications (or better). Spillable/ Maintenance free or not is a matter of preference <it doesn't have to be>.

I usually buy locally as I'm in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and a lot of vendors/sellers won't sell it through mail order/ online. I haven't bought a battery (other than for my mobile phones) from online; although it's been very tempting (because they are so cheap!). Besides, if the prices are reasonable, I have no objections in buying from and helping a local business stay alive. :)

If ordering from online, I'd make sure to read and become familiar with their return policy (restocking fee? do u pay for shipping it back to them? etc). Just in the slim chance that you end up with a dud of a new battery.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The battery shipped dry with a well-padded cartridge of acid you have to add yourself. With UPS shipping it was around $50 as I recall. The battery worked just fine with an 8-hour charge, but no tellin' how long it'll last.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

whatever battery you end up buying, be sure to charge it fully when you first get it. I'd still check it even if they say it's fully charged (it could've sat on the shelf for a week or two (or ?).

other battery related tips: Get a trickle charger, even the cheap ones at wallymart (or similar store) works
check your state of charge often (weekly? monthly?); keeping it charged when not in use for a while (wintertime?) help keeps it healthy and extends the usable life of the battery.
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Ebay, 1st web sales sells amg batteries for less than 25 clams shipped. They work just fine. There are only a few battery manufacturers that fabricate batteries that fit in bikes,ski's and scooters. Save some money if you can wait a few days.
89 Elite E