starting issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

memberzs
Goped
Goped

starting issues

Post by memberzs »

1987 se50. It sat for a few months after the auto choke solenoid broke. I just replaced it and still not starting up. I have spark, fresh fuel, vacuum at the petcock, cleaned and reoiled the site filter. Battery is good and strong (during trouble shooting jumping off from my truck). Is there diverting I'm missing or have over looked? I'm running out of ideas to check before taking it to the local shop to look at.
patthesoundguy

Re: starting issues

Post by patthesoundguy »

memberzs wrote:1987 se50. It sat for a few months after the auto choke solenoid broke. I just replaced it and still not starting up. I have spark, fresh fuel, vacuum at the petcock, cleaned and reoiled the site filter. Battery is good and strong (during trouble shooting jumping off from my truck). Is there diverting I'm missing or have over looked? I'm running out of ideas to check before taking it to the local shop to look at.
Try a new plug regardless. Plugs can fire outside the cylinder but refuse to work when installed. Also open the float bowl drain screw and drain the junk out of the carb, it might have water in there. Pulling the carb is probably a good idea anyway but you may get away with just draining it and leaving the screw open and cranking it over to get fresh fuel to the carb then close the screw.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

choke the carb by hand till your hand is getting wet then take off your hand if it has good spark and good compression and a unblocked pipe it will start .If your hand doesnt get wet then you have a fuel issue
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

paulpauly7 wrote:choke the carb by hand till your hand is getting wet then take off your hand if it has good spark and good compression and a unblocked pipe it will start .If your hand doesnt get wet then you have a fuel issue
This is the best course of action. Thats how I test most small engines. Great post pauly :-)
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

I have drained the carb bowl, but i will leave it open while started to double check I'm getting fuel. I also replaced the fuel line thinking it was fouled. I will also try hand choking it.

When it turns over i can feel the pulses coming out of the exhaust and the plug has less than 100 miles on it but I'll grab a new one they are cheap enough to not worry about.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

is it spurting at all???
when you pull the plug is it wet or dry???
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

memberzs wrote:I have drained the carb bowl, but i will leave it open while started to double check I'm getting fuel. I also replaced the fuel line thinking it was fouled. I will also try hand choking it.

When it turns over i can feel the pulses coming out of the exhaust and the plug has less than 100 miles on it but I'll grab a new one they are cheap enough to not worry about.
replacing the fuel line was a good call, especially if it was the old braided ones. They can break down inside and get screwy. If everything is somewhat right hand choking will likely get it to start. Good luck :-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

Rainy day today but I'll check as soon as i can. Ill pull the plug after i try to hand choke.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

hand choke works but may flood the motor try it with out it first ... if your temp is in the upper 70 open it up a little when trying to starting it....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
memberzs
Goped
Goped

Post by memberzs »

Looks like maybe a dead plug. Hand choked and was get gas but no sound of ignition within the cylinder. Also will pod filters work on the stock carb? I know they cause issues with cv carbs like what my cb400 runs.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

pod filters can work but you will be running lean, so you will have to rejet your carb
2 strokes are finicky with air/fuel ratios; the stock carb runs best with the stock airbox with filter