Innacurate speedometer

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Circusbear
Noob
Noob

Innacurate speedometer

Post by Circusbear »

The speedometer reading on my 83 Aero is way off. I knew I wasn't going as fast as the speedo said so Installed a bicycle speedometer and found that when the speedo reads 30mph I am actually going 25mph. When it reads 42 mph I am only going 35.

Is there a fix for this or should I just live with it?
1983 Aero 50
Wheelman-111

Re: Innacurate speedometer

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Speedos are generally optimistic, but 20% is unexpectedly high. Are you certain the bicycle speedo is correctly calibrated?

GPS would be more convincing. The only fix is a fatter front tire, if it can fit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Circusbear
Noob
Noob

Post by Circusbear »

Yes the bicycle speedo is accurate. I had my wife follow me and she verified my speed at different intervals.

I was able to take off the plastic cover on the speedometer and have removed the speedometer needle. I am able to install the needle at different starting positions so my plan is to install the needle so it will accurately read my top speed (36 mph). Hopefully this will bring my speedometer reading at 25 mph closer to the true reading and prevent me from getting a ticket while riding around my neighborhood.

I will tell you if that works.
1983 Aero 50
Circusbear
Noob
Noob

Post by Circusbear »

Update: With trial and error I was able to reinstall the speedometer needle to a position that will give me a more accurate reading.
It is spot on at 25mph, when I am going 36 the speedo reads 37. At idle the speedometer is way below zero so at speeds below 18 it is not even close. I can live with this.
1983 Aero 50
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Circusbear wrote:Update: With trial and error I was able to reinstall the speedometer needle to a position that will give me a more accurate reading.
It is spot on at 25mph, when I am going 36 the speedo reads 37. At idle the speedometer is way below zero so at speeds below 18 it is not even close. I can live with this.
Seems like a pretty good fix :-) here where I live in Canada our slowest speed limit is 50km which is around 31mph so any speed below that wouldn't matter much to me. ;-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
alexfleury
Spree
Spree

Post by alexfleury »

I seriously doubt that any cop around where I live would give anybody a ticket on a scooter regardless of how fast you are going :-) You do realize that you and your scooter are a VERY small target for radar to pick up? You would see him way before he could record your speed unless he was hidden pretty well!
Life May Not Be
The Party We Wished For
But While We Are Here
We Might As Well
Dance