2 stroke oil?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

2 stroke oil?

Post by vette76 »

what is the difference between 2 stroke oil and 2 stroke marine oil? what will happen if used in a spree?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The marine oil will make a mess of your head/combustion chamber. Marine oil is meant to be mixed with gas. Do yourself a favor and use injector oil. If you want to save money and drive a lot, snowmobile 2 stroke oil will work and is available in gallons.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

wil it cause a spree not to stay running? the spree will start run for a few seconds and die. if you rev the throttle it will rev bog down and stall. has a clean carb an air filter. whats wrong?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

vette76 wrote:wil it cause a spree not to stay running? the spree will start run for a few seconds and die. if you rev the throttle it will rev bog down and stall. has a clean carb an air filter. whats wrong?
Possible choke problem, or you may need to reset your carb screws.

and most likely the marine oil wont cause that problem. If you go to a Honda motorcycle dealer, they'll have some real good quality 2stroke oil. its called "GN2 Genuine 2stroke oil".
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Clean that oil from your system and change the plug. WB if that doesn't fix it. How long have you been running it?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

not long.the spree is not mine. heres what happened, the kid that ownes it was riding it, the air/fuel screw fell out and it died. he could not find the screw, while the bike was sitting there he changed the oil. he found the screw and set it to 1 3/8 turns out.(1987). after doing this the bike will not stay running. i dont get how even though everything is right it wont stay running, and how this could just happen. could it be the plug? oh yeah, he said something about the air cleaner being blackened.(other than its original color). what could that mean?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

well just pop open the airbox and look at the filter, if its dirty clean it. dont clean it w/ water though, as it will be too dry afterwards and run lean.

I still say that it might be the idle adjustment. Keep track of its position on paper and turn it left or right a few times and see if that helps. One way is richer, one is leaner... I just dont remember which. :P
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

.... the airscrew was loose enough to fall out, yet the scoot ran anyway. There's no way that'd happen at the factory setting. Something's wrong with the carb, but from here I can't tell what. Either stripped threads or blocked jets.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

I had a little realization of what will happen to a spree when you put marine oil in it. My friend ran it for about 300 miles and then it slowly started slowing down to the low 20's. I then found my self taking the head and block off and scraping the carbon out. It has been fine ever since I began using Lucas 2 stroke semi-synthetic oil. DO NOT USE MARING OIL! USE INJECTOR OIL!
DENMAN
Noob
Noob

Post by DENMAN »

MARINE TC-W3 ENGINE OIL IS A PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE, IF NOT PREFERRED, OIL FOR USE IN THE HONDA SPREE INJECTION SYSTEM. THIS PRODUCT BURNS CLEANLY, CONTAINS APPROXIMATELY 20% SOLVENT WHICH MAKES IT PERFECT FOR OIL INJECTION, AND MEET API SERVICE TC, WHICH IS A FAIRLY SERVERE SERVICE RATING. THE ENGINE IN THE HONDA SPREE IS NOT UNDER SEVERE LOAD, NOR OPERATES AT HIGH RPM OR TEMPERATURE - ALL OF WHICH MAKE IT AN IDEAL CANDIDATE FOR OUTBOARD ENGINE OILS.

USE OF PRODUCTS LIKE WAL-MART BRAND, CITGO, EXXON OR OTHER LOWER COST BRANDS IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE FOR THE HONDA SPREE 2T ENGINES.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

im gonna have to disagree again, i have seen what this stuff does. the spree really doesnt have enough energy to keep from carbon build up. compression,spark exc. that bigger (marine) engines have. the spree IS at high rpms often also. im sure most people here drive full throttle all the time. (unless they like a line of cars behind them) which is about 10-12 thousand rpms.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx