low compression

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

i think i might have the iowa exhaust on mine, but its not restricted. here are a few pics...

as you can see theres no expansion chamber right before the muffler and the pipe diamete is pretty small. what do you guys think?
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

if you still think it is carbonized in the muffler use oven cleaner over night. use about two cans I believe.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

the ticking is probably piston slap from the over usage of the piston. Also if there is scratches in the bore it creates blow by hence the hot spots on your cylinder and your piston.Get a new cylinder and piston.Those scratches will keep creating blow by and hot spots on you cylinder and piston
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

the ticking is gone now. im pretty sure it was from the carbon build up. a new piston and cylinder is too much money for a 20 year old scooter. after i honed the cylinder i didnt really see any scratches in it . as long as it runs well im happy, somethin this cheap doesnt have to be perfect. the main thing im concerned with now is figuring out if i have an iowa exhaust what to do with it, or just replacing it.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

okay... i know EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEND the same thing happend to me. your jug is shot like mine was because your jug broke off a piece of your piston ring and thats the clicking. mine did the same thing. i ripped the motor apart and soaked the internals in gasoline and got the debirs out and bought a new piston because the other one was scarrd and i got another jug and some rings and gaskets and it runs golden.
1986 Honda Spree w/ pulley mod clocked in at 37mph hauling 175 lbs. Don't believe me? lets race!
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

ok im not sure if you guys are only readin my first post or what, but theres no ticking. the rings were completely intact when i took it apart. it is back together and running fine. concern is no longer with cylinder, piston, or ticking. my concern is my exhaust.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

and also to let you know your compression brakes in. it will get about 5-10 lbs. higher after you brake in new rings and gaskets. right now i have 145 lbs. of compression :)
1986 Honda Spree w/ pulley mod clocked in at 37mph hauling 175 lbs. Don't believe me? lets race!
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

i had 130 psi of compression like a half hour after i replaced the rings so itll go up a little then. thats cool
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
speedyspree
BMX
BMX

Post by speedyspree »

ive gotta try the oven cleaner thing does it really work and how do i do it
85 spree honda cb 125 and 2 pocket bikes(for sale)
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

nate_lohs wrote:the ticking is gone now. im pretty sure it was from the carbon build up. a new piston and cylinder is too much money for a 20 year old scooter. after i honed the cylinder i didnt really see any scratches in it . as long as it runs well im happy, somethin this cheap doesnt have to be perfect. the main thing im concerned with now is figuring out if i have an iowa exhaust what to do with it, or just replacing it.
carbon build is caused by overjetting.. The way your piton and jug looked definitely looked rich.
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

After your BBQ put the exhaust on it and burn the crud out, works for me.
roadcapDen
2 Harleys
4 Mopeds
1 Vespa 1 Spree 1 Beluga
speedyspree
BMX
BMX

Post by speedyspree »

ok my weekend project
85 spree honda cb 125 and 2 pocket bikes(for sale)