What Temp and other bits

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

WeeMan
Spree
Spree

What Temp and other bits

Post by WeeMan »

So after finally finishing re building my bike I have a couple of questions?

One is even at WOT my bike only reach's about 270f in temp? I thought it should be about 360f. most of the time it is about 220f

The other thing is what speed should I expect? It will do about 50mph on the flat with no wind?

The bike is an 85 UK vision with malossi head and barrel, Multivar variator, Delorto 19mm carb, leo vince pipe. I am using super unleaded at 97 ron and mixing fuel / oil at the ratio of 32:1.

Cheers

Danny
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Re: What Temp and other bits

Post by Pineapplegti »

If your happy with the speed and acceleration leave it alone..sounds like you can go a touch leaner though.
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

It runs fine. Happy with speed and acceleration but just don't want to do any damage to it if its running really rich?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yes its rich at those temps .Did you heat cycle the motor ? have you done any running in ? You shouldnt go WOT for at least two tanks
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

Hi,

Yep did loads of heat cycling and done about 200 - 300 miles at low revs to break it in. Did not go wot until after that. To lean it out is it an option to use less oil or is adjusting the carb better?

cheers

Danny
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Let's clear up confusion regarding rich/lean, which refers to the proportion of Fuel for a given volume of Air. This has Nothing (OK, a Little something...) to do with the Oil ratio. If temps are low, you don't need to adjust the oil ratio. The main jet in the carb is simply too big. Proceed with caution when dropping a size or more. What works perfect on a hot day might get dangerously lean in colder weather. That's because colder air is heavier (Think Hot Air Balloon) and so contains more Oxygen. So proportionately there is less fuel. Such leaner mixtures burn hotter, so paradoxically the engine runs warmer when it's cold outside. Apparently the colder air blown by the fan can't offset the difference.

Adding more Oil to the fuel has the same effect. Oil doesn't burn, and takes up some fuel volume, once again = Leaner mixture. I learned this first-hand attempting to run 25:1, in addition to reading about it.

So drop a jet size, decrease filter oil or try a short ride without a filter and see, but don't monkey with the oil unless you're fouling plugs or seeing excessive carbon.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH