94 sa50 battery issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

94 sa50 battery issues

Post by Mystic »

Anyone know a reason my battery could go dead overnight with no key in the ignition but charges when I drive it? Battery is new, about 2 weeks old. I'm thinking regulator/rectifier issues
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 94 sa50 battery issues

Post by LMH »

The battery has a bad cell, it happens.
808EERPS48
Goped
Goped

Post by 808EERPS48 »

idk if the rectifier regulator would cause a drain, it converts the dc to ac for your lights to run try check your grounds and stator wires:2thumbs:
84 Spree dio ready
Youtube me: Go RYAN Pro
True 72cc
70+/F/72
Reppin it for the 2+ class
Eastsydah Rydah Productions
#Handodat
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I have found Honda Regulator/Rectifiers do fail in a manner which can slowly discharge the battery (over night, or over a couple days) to blown fuses, to melted wires (if the previous owner bypassed the fuse).

In a stock Honda scooter electrical system, the Rectifier/Regulator is the *only* component powered up with the ignition switch off. That is a tip off for dead battery issues, if the battery itself is known good.

A reverse polarity battery connection, or accidental reverse polarity jump start attempt have caused regulator failure. Good part is regulators are easy to troubleshoot, and inexpensive if required.

-- Easy tests --
1) "I want an immediate answer' --- Disconnect the battery + wire, and insert a multimeter set to DC Amps (start with 2A or above) between the battery + term and fused harness. With the ignition *OFF* there should be ZERO current.

2) Meter's loaned our, dead or gone missing? Charge the battery, then unplug the regulator. Party for a week <grin> then check for e-start functionality. If behavior is different than when the regulator/rectifier was in circuit, the regulator is bad.