Spree cuts out at 15mph

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

arick793
BMX
BMX

Spree cuts out at 15mph

Post by arick793 »

I have an all stock 84 Honda Spree. It was barely running so I drained out all of the old gas and cleaned the carburetor. It starts right up and runs good, but when riding, at about 15mph the engine loses power like it's stalling. If I keep trying to accelerate then it will stall, but if I let off the gas, the engine picks right back up. Adjusting the mixture screw has zero effect. My air box is connected, air filter is in. Do I need a new float? It's plastic and not adjustable. I read in a few other topics that a plugged main jet would cause a similar situation, but mine is clean.
patthesoundguy

Re: Spree cuts out at 15mph

Post by patthesoundguy »

Maybe you have a clogged exhaust. I'd also check the reeds for damage. Check checking the compression wouldn't hurt at this point either. And one more thing. Check to see if you have a good solid fuel flow. Open the drain screw on the bowl of the carb and crank for a few seconds and see if you have good flow from the tank. Hope it's something simple so you can be out enjoying that spree. :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Is the air cleaner lid gasket in place ? Is the air cleaner lid screw in place ? The Spree is extremely sensitive when it comes to the air box.
I have had some Spree's where it took multiple carb cleanings to get the passages clear, if the tank has rust, the rust will find it's way back into the carb.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

You might get lucky and find that the gas cap vent is clogged limiting the fuel flow - easy to check and remedy.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90