Brake Lever Amp Drop!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Brake Lever Amp Drop!

Post by Sheeshee »

Hey folks,

I've got a weird one and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.... When the brake lever is out (only tested this with the rear brake) the scoot idles low and the headlamp dims, but when the lever is in, the idle quickens and the headlamp brightens. It seems as though the brake lever position is causing some sort of amp drop or something. This is strange because I disconnected the leads for the starter safety mechanism that forces you to pull in the brake before hitting the starter button, as the starter itself doesn't work and, strangly enough, the brake lever positions (in and out) were originally causing this same weird amp drop issue. So I thought I unplugged the brake from any electrical triggers, but apparently I'm missing something.

Are there any more electrical functions that the brake lever has besides that little button resting in the control body (which I have already unplugged), or any other suggestions why the position of the brake lever would cause an amp drop?

Thanks!
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Re: Brake Lever Amp Drop!

Post by curtis966 »

I would check your grounds. I had a problem like that once where pulling in the brake was almost like giving it some throttle. I had the starter removed. What I did was put a ground on one of the starter bolts and back to the frame and problem solved.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Post by Sheeshee »

curtis966 wrote:I would check your grounds. I had a problem like that once where pulling in the brake was almost like giving it some throttle. I had the starter removed. What I did was put a ground on one of the starter bolts and back to the frame and problem solved.
Totally worked! Thanks! :peace:
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

No problem! Best part about sites like this most problems have been had before by someone else lol.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

It's always odd when there's a problem no one has came across for sure, Curtis has done a lot of work on these bikes for certain. It's like owning a beetle bug, you better learn how to work on them or know someone who does.