87 Spree wont start now

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

soren175
Noob
Noob

87 Spree wont start now

Post by soren175 »

I bought a 87 spree from a guy that had it about 1 month. He bought it at auction and put about 100 miles on it. He thinks he did not use the correct oil and wrecked the piston. I bought it for $75 and replaced the cylinder, piston, rings and clips, as the clip was the cause of the damaged piston and cylinder. Well, once it was back together I cranked it over for about a minute or so and it started. I ran it a few minutes up and down my driveway and it just died.
I have spark, pretty good compression but have not gauged it. I cleaned the carb pretty good today blowing out the orifices and cleaning the screws, etc. The problem is it just wont start. I unplugged the auto bystarter but no change. I played with the airscrew but no change. The float moves okay. When I covered the air inlet of the carb, it sucked gas out the inlet. The fuel line delivers fuel when I use the vacuum line.
The one thing I did not do when I was cleaning the carb is remove the main jet however I did blow it out with carb cleaner.

Any other suggestions? :?