getting it running after winter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

getting it running after winter

Post by PimpinSpree »

I let my scooter sit all winter, it ran fine the last time i drove it in October. I cleaned the carburetor thoroughly 3 times and it starts easily on almost every kick. It will barely idle and absolutely will not rev up. Although, the first few seconds that i get it started, it will rev up, but after that, it will die at any hint of throttle.

I haven't changed to fresh fuel or a new spark plug, i know i should, but i just didn't think the symptoms could be caused by those. All ive done so far is clean the carb
patthesoundguy

Re: getting it running after winter

Post by patthesoundguy »

Take the fuel line and put it in a container and either crank the motor or apply vacuum to the petcock to drain a bunch of fuel from the tank. That will push any water out of the tank that may have settled to the bottom of the tank. I tend to use a light or white container for that so I can see the condition of the fuel or water floating in there. Give it a fresh plug and fresh fuel. Had a few times where my spree sat where the plug refused to fire when it was installed. I've have good luck with old fuel where I run ethanol free fuel, my aero 80 sat in my storage locker from November to last week. I put my finger over the end of the pipe and it fired up as if I drove it the day before.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock