Wont idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bizz435
Noob
Noob

Wont idle

Post by Bizz435 »

I have a 1987 Elite SE50. The scoot has been sitting for over 7 years. The gas inside was very close to turpentine. I drained the tank completely and cleaned it very good. The carb was soaked cleaned and all ports were blown through and put back together. I got the bike running with a shot of starting fluid and WOT it seems ok but cannot get this d*** thing to idle.

Once it shuts off, it will not start unless I give a shot of starting fluid.

The throttle screw is all the way in and it still wont idle.. I've read a bunch of similar issues but I cannot get a straight answer. I saw my father disconnected one of the wires for the bystarter. I've connected both wires and do not get any different response. Can this be one of the problems? Then I read something about the pilot jet. I think its clean. I mean the carb was soaking for over 3 hrs.

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Wont idle

Post by swimmingfree »

starting fluidis a big no no ................. your bystarter is bad test it...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The pilot circuit can soak for 3 weeks and still not be clean. Many have reported needing 2-3 tries before the carb is truly clean, particularly that fussy little hole under the brass standpipe that is our Pilot circuit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

wheelman is right, that little orifice in the floatbowl that feeds the pilot circuit, is clogged. It can be tedious to get that little guy clear. My express carb took nearly 2 hours to poke and prod and spray carb cleaner. Now I use a really small numbered drill to get through the hard crud and then carefully open the hole up to its proper size with a torch tip cleaner. Only takes a few min. As for the bystarter it starts out in the enrich mode when cold then it heats up to close the fuel flow from the foat bowl and that small hole that needs to be clear for it to idle. so pulling the wires from the bystarter is only going to have an affect once the motor warms up.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

PTSG is correct. The Default bystarter position is "choke on". It's an ingenious system that approaches computer-accuracy in giving a cold engine the extra fuel it needs and then shutting off when the engine warms.
Let us be clear: A failed bystarter has no effect on startup, (unless the channels in the carb body that conduct the extra fuel are clogged too.) The working bystarter turns the choke OFF once the engine has been running for a few minutes. If it's failed, the symptoms of over-rich mixture occur with a WARM engine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH