best glue for fixing broken tabs

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

best glue for fixing broken tabs

Post by GuavaJam »

Whats good to use on plastic bodywork? I heard acetone can meld pieces back together.
Wheelman-111

Re: best glue for fixing broken tabs

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Acetone exposure does soften the plastic after a while, and you might even get the broken pieces to stick together, some. However the bond won't come close to strong enough for the tab to hold the panel on. Somewhere in the Technical sections there's a "Quick 'n Dirty" plastic repair featuring "All-Purpose" cement for plumbing from Home Depot and a backing made from fiberglass and/or carbon fiber matting. That really does make for a durable repair, but you have to bridge the gap between the panel and its broken tab to give it any strength.

Edit: I misspoke, it's "Cheap and Dirty".
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Super glue and baking soda will rebuild tabs pretty easy! Best to go to a hobby shop and buy super glue in the large bottles get thin and gap filler and a bottle of accelerator spray. Oh wise wheelman and his way is likley the best solution but if you can't get it to work the super glue and baking soda will be the way to go. You can get creative with paper or business card stock to hold the glue to pour a little soda on and build up the shape you need. I have rebuilt many parts that way. I have even rebuilt a plastic gear in the gear box of one of those little 6volt ride on toys, glue and baking soda then sculpt with the die grinder or dremel with the small diamond cutting wheel.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've neve heard of the Super Glue and Soda method, PTSG. I'll do some research, but can you show the way?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I've neve heard of the Super Glue and Soda method, PTSG. I'll do some research, but can you show the way?
Super glue is the most important tool in my tool box! I'll have to do a tutorial when I get some time. In the meantime I'll look for a good YouTube video. I have rebuilt a couple broken tabs on my aero 80 with super glue
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kennedy759
BMX
BMX

Post by kennedy759 »

2 part 5 minute epoxy works great also, fixed some broken tabs on the plastic nose of my corvette with it
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

codename47 wrote:i used the method in tech docs i think with the plumber glue with the MEK in it? i think it's it. banned in california. and some wove fiberglass mat. pretty sturdy afterward.
Mek methyl ethyl ketone I think it stands for and it works well but you need the broken pieces to glue back together. You can build up what's not there with the plumbers glue.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock