1986 Spree - Kick

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

swflcarl
Spree
Spree

1986 Spree - Kick

Post by swflcarl »

Where to start... my latest project. Orphan.

Many scoots under the old belt... but this has me struggling. Most just need some love - cleaned carb (properly), plug, and new fluids.

However, I have even started blocking and tackling yet. The kick start castle gear is rounded and will not engage the drive face gear. Jack-wagon owners. I might try to re-square - but no worries, I will just move on to the electric starter.

The starter relay is not ideal... and starter doesn't turn.

I pulled the starter and it is good (runs). I have cleaned the relay and it works, most of the time I just use and plastic handle to power the starter contact.

The pinion gear / bendix was locking. I thought maybe the case seat and motor seats were locking the bendix - not so (pulled cleaned and lube the seats). The pinon engages the drive gear - but it is binding (locking it). Option 2 starter is turning out to be hard too.

The bendix works fine and looks like the correct one - 11 teeth, so that leaves to the drive gear. As you might notice, the teeth are binding the bendix.

Anyways - I want some other seasoned thoughts. (aka M-Wheels / PTSG / and the such).

Thanks for your input... I am sure this $50 find will be back in action with a "little help from my friends".
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Re: 1986 Spree - Kick

Post by swflcarl »

Jacked from 2008 - MWHEELS

Looks like there are 2 different starters with the early Sprees being 10T.
Info from powersportspro.com.

1984/1985
Starter - 31200-GK8-003 - Motor Assy, Starter (10T)

Pinion Assy (the 'Bendix') 31209-GK8-008 Pinion Assy, Starter (65T)

----
1986/1987
Starter - 31210-GK8-782 -Motor unit, Starter

Pinion Assy, Starter 31209-GK8-781 (11T/63T)
----

So there's a difference in starter part and pinions.

Can you check the part numbers on your 10T and 11T starters and see if it matches up to the 1984-5 and 1986-7 starters?

I need to confirm the crank starter gear teeth count... maybe some pecker-neck changed the drive gear from another unit. The starter spins the bendix up and it locks / binds on the crank gear. It must be too large with the OD of the gear teeth a touch too long.

Anyways - back to combing.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive