upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Post by dem0nk1d »

I stalled the gears from the Stage 1 kit Scooter Swap Shop sells. Everything is of course straight forward, but can be a pain in the butt. First issue i had was installing the blue clutch shoe springs, they just fought and fought... But i got'em on.

Then while taking the trans apart it was difficult. I will need a new paper gasket, but just to see how everything would line up got me. The rear shaft didn't want to come out on the wheel side. I actually had to install the wheel nut and wack it out with a rubber hammer.

All that said in done, I pressed on the new big gear to the shaft and assembled everything. I noticed the rear wheel would not spin at all. Something is binding so i tore everything apart and slowly inspected everything.

Here is the only thing that sticks out at me.

You'll notice the bearing is raised 1mm shouldn't this be flush with the casing?

"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Re: upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Post by Downsouthdio »

You used the washers right? Bearings look right to me
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

Downsouthdio wrote:You used the washers right? Bearings look right to me
i installed the plastic washer on the inside facing the engine, and the metal facing the case shown in pictures above. been reading the washers can be binding
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

CURRENTLY have the exact same issue. Scooter is all ripped apart for weeks now all because I can't figure this out. Gears all spin fine with the cover on but as soon as I tighten one bolt on the cover, the crank shafts lock up and won't spin at all. I too thought that bearing was sticking out a tad and tried to push it in but wouldn't budge.

I'm stuck dead in the water right along with you and am just stumped here...
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Generally Aftermarket gears require that you ELIMINATE the plastic washer. It is too thick for the different countershaft. The Overall length of the shaft may be the same or only 0.5mm longer, but the position of the cogwheel is altered compared to stock.. measure and see. Take both washers of and dry fit to test.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

I removed the smaller gear and put the case back on. Still binding. I think the main Axel maybe sticking sticking out into the case past that raised bearing

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

I bought gears from diffrent sellers and one bike took both washers out and one I took one and it spins freely. Make sure you replace the paper gasket too. It's adds you extra mm to the space.
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

so i think i found the binding issue. the gear is be smashed into the inner side of the trans. pics below, any ideas. there is no possible way to shim things out.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

graphite9 wrote:I think you might have put it on backwards. i have never seen one hit the case
i repressed on the gear the other way with the lettering facing you/me/i and it spins nice, but once you button on the case the same thing... it gets smashed. now the 94+ up doesn't have a shim that rides on the outside of the secondary gear... ????

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Will try this marker trick to see if this is my problem as well. I bet it is...
97 Elite SA50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So now you know Where it binds, but Why? Is the axle from a stock SA50? If so the axle is going too far to the right, or the gear is too far down on the shaft. Shimming is not usually required; and this shaft is kind of critical. It holds the wheel after all.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

So now you know Where it binds, but Why? Is the axle from a stock SA50? If so the axle is going too far to the right, or the gear is too far down on the shaft. Shimming is not usually required; and this shaft is kind of critical. It holds the wheel after all.

Stock shaft from a 95 Elite. This is the wife's bike. So it's really important for me to have things right. I've never seen anyone shim the axle. IDK i even pressed the shaft back on with a very slight gap to see if that would change anything and it still binds. I've been working on this project since 8am. I'm about to call it a night and throw a wrench down the street.

so i guess this is a new thing, we have all seen.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

Here is a picture of mines with one plastic washer that I took out so it could spin with trans cover tightly on.

95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

as for the gear i put it on exactly the same as the stock one. also tried it both ways. one way binds into the case, and the other way binds into the cover.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

So my issue seems to be FIXED! Drew the marker on the same spot, put the trans cover back on with one bolt tight enough to make the shaft the clutch sits on hard to spin, to see if my main big gear was grinding on the back wall, and to my surprise it wasnt.

See at first before all this I went to no plastic washer, bought a second thin washer for the front and back of the counter shaft route, which didn't work. So I simply just removed BOTH metal thin washers on the counter shaft and with all 5 bolts put back on snug, it spins free as a bird :rock: :woot:
97 Elite SA50