Pressing gears into place

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Pressing gears into place

Post by Gearhart »

How do you all press fit gears into place. I took mine to a local machine shop and they heated it up to pop the gear off but when they went to put the new one on the completely bend the shaft. So now I need a new shaft and a new way to do this. I know a lot of you have aftermarket gears. How do you get them on?
Wheelman-111

Re: Pressing gears into place

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's easy to get a press wrong, especially in a hurry. Obviously they didn't center the job properly and put the shaft at an angle. I bought this one for a buck 'n a quarter at Harbor Freight. For pennies more, they have a 20-ton, but the 12 does just fine, with no need to heat anything. Freeze the shaft if you like.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

I'm pretty frustrated. So you guys don't even mess with heat or anything. This guy said there is a ton of interference and it would not go on without heat and he has a big industrial press. I'm wondering if the gear wasn't machined right?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Crooked indeed. Otherwise the shaft should not bend. The machine shop guy is correct, but still the gear should be right. Once I measured with my rudimentary Harbor Freight calipers and got no less than 0.07mm of interference. The shaft is 70 microns bigger than the hole. The hole stretches, presumably, or the shaft compresses that much. Compression fitting with that much pressure makes it so the gear won't budge or spin on the shaft, even with Mighty Big-Bore torque is applied. Once I had to warm the gear to get the shaft out, but typically the Squeeze is enough.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

He also bent the gears I got :/ I was wondering if I can send the shaft to you at the swap shop with some money and see if you can press new gears on for me and ship it back?
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Alright I send you a pm about it