Bike sitting for awhile..

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dakine
Elite
Elite

Bike sitting for awhile..

Post by Dakine »

So My Elite S was Probably outside for 2 months, even some rain got to it.. Looked like Petcock was leaking because oil was everywhere and i was outta gas lol.

Specs,Corsa,DD Block,Ct black/Ct Chrome half half. 28oko,DDX pulley, Kelley medium clutch.

Refilled bike with gas/premix,Bike ran good for a couple days then I just tried starting it up and it took awhile and i had to put the choke up.
First couple minutes it ran perfectly fine at about quarter throttle. Once I tried half throttle the bike would some what bog in a weird way but not a regular bog where your jets are wrong. So I let off the throttle while coasting and the bike idled but when I tried to throttle, it sounded like TOTAL Starvation then it died.

After checking spark plug and making sure gas was going to carb I took the Filter off and tried to kick start it but no luck at all for a few minutes. So I pulled the choke up and put my hand over the carb and after a few kicks it started. I was riding with out problems back home with the filter off and half way to the house the motor does almost the very same thing and loses power when i throttle after I let off the throttle because I was turning onto my road.

Walked the bike up to the house and i kick started it and it died in about 2-3 seconds. I took apart the carb, and there actually was some residue at the very bottom of the carb right on top the part/Outer screw you can take off to change the main jet. So i cleaned the carb and jets and took the petcock off cleaned it a little bit and made sure it was screwed on proper so it wouldnt leak.

Took Head Off and cylinder looked fine.Spark Plug looked pretty d*** good actually. lol. And the bike does the same thing every time i start it and ride it or try to ride it...

Just when I was gonna take this bike apart to rebuild it.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Bike sitting for awhile..

Post by 1man8scoots »

Sounds like seals are leaking or your carb needs a very thorough cleaning in an ultrasonic. Only reason you ever have to choke an engine to start and then it dies when trying to accelerate.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I suggest you drain and check the fuel tank. Rain.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

about 6-7 months ago the bike had a complete overhaul EVERYTHING is brand new. Seals, Crank Bearing,Bearings,Manifold,carb,and bore then it sat in storage sincei was away lol then I took it out
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Oh i thought i said i drained it sincei had a leak and took off the petcock to
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Clean the carb really good. If you already did that, do it again.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Will do, I also bought another Brand New petcock. When I change that Ill Re check/clean the manifold,carb, and gas tank..

So because of the gas leaking from the petcock there was oil that got onto the ignition wire/spark plug wire and leaked into it so when I took the cap off the spark plug there was oil on top the spark plug and inside the plug where everything connects. I cleaned everything out and changed the plug again but still same problems..
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

So changed carbs, checked Reeds,changed gas, checked to make sure there wasnt any Leaks. Now my bike wont start/run unless i play with my hand over the carb. It'll literally shut off once i pull my hand away and wont start with the filter on.. Any ideas lol
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Thats what I honestly thought in the beginning because of the leaking petcock, but then it stopped leaking. I think its from the Oil, but who knows?

I actually never changed the petcock to the brand new one that I bought because I was getting fuel all over my hand when I was covering the Carb.

I might Put Together my Stock Af18 and just see if I can get it to run on the same bike..

NO LIE I will Change the PEtcock tomorrow, even if it doesnt leak anymore. Ive literally checked this block for Leaks WAAAY to many times... lol