Getting my new 85 Spreeee running!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Getting my new 85 Spreeee running!

Post by choppercraig »

so I traded my 86 suzuki rm80 for an 85 spree. guy said it ran but was out of gas, i didnt bring gas so he couldn't show me. i've gotten it to run for a few seconds a few times.

ive had the carb apart and cleaned it with brake clean, no real difference (the main jet appears to be seized in there good and the slot stripped last time someone tried getting it out). from what i understand, i want the a/f screw 1 7/8 turns out? and the needle came stock on the 4th lowest notch? i keep finding that the spark plug just isnt getting spark, and i cant tell why. it can get spark fine on a different spark plug but on this one for some reason the plug gets fouled or is just getting covered in gas and wont spark... though it appears these engines use the same cdi's and ignition coil as 110cc honda clone engines(lots of experience with them)... and i just so happen to have a 5 pin racing cdi and HP ignition coil, so idk maybe the coil will give it the juice it needs i hope. or what would be the best spark plug i can get for one of these? also this scooter hasnt been on the road for years, what all should i look over before taking it in for a safety? i know it needs new tires, they're cracked pretty bad on the sides
patthesoundguy

Re: getting my new 85 spreeee running!

Post by patthesoundguy »

:thumbsup: Welcome fellow Canadian :thumbsup: Brake clean isn't what you want to clean your carb, its a different formulation than carb cleaner and sometimes wont attack the varnish like you need it to. if the main jet is stuck try a small pair of pliers if you are careful it should unscrew ok. The best plug for that is the NGK BPR6HS, Canadian tire has them on the shelf usually. I've had plugs that would fire out of the bike but not when installed. It wouldnt hurt to try the other cdi and coil if the new plug wont do the trick. yes the a/f screw the stock setting is 1 7/8 btw :-) The key to the carb is the small orifice in the float bowl that feeds the start/ idle circuit. if clogged starting and idling wont happen. The air filter element is another concern, if they arent oiled properly or are rotten the scoot wont funtion right at all. The exhaust looks funny in the picture, is it stock? it doesnt look it from here. A clogged exhaust can cause the plug to get covered in fuel real easy. the stock motors do not handle exhaust changes all that well unless its a tuned pipe. I bet you can download the inspection manual for ontario so you can go over and make sure it will pass. You can get the Nova Scotia MV Inpsection manual online. I can't see why Ontario wouldn't have one too. From what I can see as long as the tires are not cracked and the brakes are good, the forks arent wobbly and the lights all work you should be good to go.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Re: getting my new 85 spreeee running!

Post by choppercraig »

Well, I also went through the carb again with carb cleaner yesterday.
Didnt seem to make a difference.
The plug it currently has is a BPR6HS and it seems to be sparking better lately than before, but i do kind of want to pick up a spare so thanks for that.
The other cdi and coil worked about the same.
I imagine it'll run fine on them, so i'll probably order a set for it because the cdi does make a difference on a 4 stroke 110, so it should give me a little power boost hopefully.
I'll probably have the carb apart again soon so ill look for that little orifice.
Also gonna check the resistance of the bystarter.
This thing has a generic i'm guessing 38mm air filter, with some kind of radiator hose adapter.
The stock airbox was cut away to make room for this filter, which hardly fits under the body.
Basically same air filter as my 110cc mini chopper, good flow, maybe not best filtration.
From what i understand though, I need the stock airbox to create enough intake vacuum to run the fuel valve, right?
For that i'd need a whole new fender, cover, hose and filter which looks to be about $100+ on ebay.
Something happened to the exhaust and the muffler was chopped off and they welded on what looks like a muffler from a 49cc pocket bike.
They had some steel wool stuffed in there.
Idk if thats necessary for back pressure or they did that for sound, but i've left it in for now because apparently he had it running and riding.
I'm almost positive my tires are going to be the only issues for safety.
patthesoundguy

Re: Getting my new 85 Spreeee running!

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yes on your question about the new fender / air box. That will be the best way to get that spree to run properly. You may need to mod the exhaust as well. In the meantime you can upjet the main jet to a 72 or so to get the right amount of fuel in the top end. And turn the a/f screw in a nearly almost all the way in. The steel wool in the exhaust could have been your cause of the wet plug. Hard to say why the steel wool was in there, someone really thought they were going to get some more power by modding the exhaust and intake. It might be worth checking to see if there is a big bore kit installed in that spree.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Post by choppercraig »

just installed a new spark plug, pretty much fired right up even with the air filter as it is.
i removed a good bit of tape from the filter since i got this pic but when i just took it for a test run it ran way better when i just pulled the filter right off. i only got it up to about 40km/h though i was tucking in all the way (100lb rider) so i think it could run a bit better, what does your get up to? i'm thinking before i shell out $100+ for a factory airbox i might be able to make one that might function about the same. this was on the lowest notch on the needle... switching to the 4th notch made it seem to run a little better in the low end but i have to be super light with the throttle, i gotta hold the throttle very precisely to maintain 30km/h with a decent headwind against me. with the wind to my bakc i can get it up to around 42 maybe, but then i run out of road because this thing struggles to do 30 against the wind so i only want to go so far up the road like that...
Last edited by choppercraig on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I strongly recommend you replace those ORIGINAL nearly 30 year-old fuel and vacuum hoses....or risk eminent failure due to ethanol deterioration of hoses resulting in debris clogging all the fuel system... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Post by choppercraig »

motormike wrote:I strongly recommend you replace those ORIGINAL nearly 30 year-old fuel and vacuum hoses....or risk eminent failure due to ethanol deterioration of hoses resulting in debris clogging all the fuel system... :urban:
yeah thats not a bed idea though i plan to be mostly ethanol free , i've probably got a long enough length of fuel hose for it but they seem to get hard after a while. got it up to 50km/h (30mph) now by taping up the air filter again... i think i got just enough tape now maybe. still struggles to do 35 against the wind though... i tried running it with the steel wool in the pipe and that definitely quiets it down but it also seems like it would restrict it too much to give any additional speed.

just did a plug chop, 1km @WOT @about 50km/h then kill while still WOT.
in my experience i think it looks pretty ok, what do you guys think? this thing really struggled up a small incline to get over some railroad tracks against the wind. i was down to 20km/h and i thought it was going to just run out of torque and stall... keep in mind i go full motogp tuck mode against the wind with full face helmet visor down..and still so slow lol. i want to love thing, i really do, it puts a big smile on my face but it takes a few minutes to go a km up my road while my mini chopper would eat up that km in about 45 seconds in 4th :/
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The plug is hard to read because you can't see deep enough in the pic. Sounds like you are getting the intake sorted out with tape. A cylinder head temp gauge would be handy at this point to really dial it in. Keep up the great work!
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Post by choppercraig »

seems my fuel gauge died. probably the sensor actually.. i tried getting a reading from the 2 wires and from were there 2 wires go into the sensor and i think i got a reading of 40ohms for a second but havent been able to get anything out of it since. the tank is pretty full though so idk if it should have even been reading 40. might have a go at taking it apart, if i can get it out.. hopefully gonna order some 80/90 10 IRC tires for it today and then once they come in i'll have my safety done when they install the tires
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Post by choppercraig »

well scooter passed safety.. i just got some insurance quotes.. wow. it's more than i could have imagined... one place if i did a training course they'd do 1600/y the other place would do 2800/y with the thing valued at $400 with basic liability coverage. which boils out to about 130 and 230 per month.. for a spree... i love the scooter, i wanna make it go 70mph.. but wow i think i want to get something else if i'm paying that much... ONTARIO INSURANCE... thats about it... it gets better with age... but it could be SO much better
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

some times the fun of getting the old girl up from the dead thats the fun part .... that first pop of some thing that has not run in years that the blast of scooter it is for me ...
have fun and dont freek out ...
sell it and get some some thing new to play with ... thats the fun part...smile big time i do...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
choppercraig
Noob
Noob

Post by choppercraig »

swimmingfree wrote:some times the fun of getting the old girl up from the dead thats the fun part .... that first pop of some thing that has not run in years that the blast of scooter it is for me ...
have fun and dont freek out ...
sell it and get some some thing new to play with ... thats the fun part...smile big time i do...
swimmingfree
pretty much my whole progression through bikes summed up right there.. started with the $100 non runners, now i'm working my way up to getting actual good working bikes. but yeah i totally dont mind buying cheap bikes and getting them going, all i've been really doing so far.. usually it's easy... actually i havent really had a bike need any serious work yet... lets hope i can keep it that way for a while
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

choppercraig wrote:well scooter passed safety.. i just got some insurance quotes.. wow. it's more than i could have imagined... one place if i did a training course they'd do 1600/y the other place would do 2800/y with the thing valued at $400 with basic liability coverage. which boils out to about 130 and 230 per month.. for a spree... i love the scooter, i wanna make it go 70mph.. but wow i think i want to get something else if i'm paying that much... ONTARIO INSURANCE... thats about it... it gets better with age... but it could be SO much better
I'd get some more quotes. Here in Nova Scotia I'm paying aprox 175$ for two scooters for the year I think it is. One is a spree.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock