94 Elite SR Backfiring

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ALOW1
Elite
Elite

94 Elite SR Backfiring

Post by ALOW1 »

I have a 94 Elite SR here that starts up and runs fine unless you try to hold it wide open it backfires. The machine is completely stock. Now the kicker here is that the thing runs perfectly fine if you hold a brake lever. If you let go of the brake lever it starts popping and backfiring again. Any ideas?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: 94 Elite SR Backfiring

Post by ALOW1 »

I also tried another CDI off a known running machine and the same thing happened.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Fixed. Turns out the guy had the green wire on the starter unhooked.
motormike

Post by motormike »

...Like... :urban:
ALOW1 wrote:Fixed. Turns out the guy had the green wire on the starter unhooked.
I started to reply and suggest looking for a loose wire, then i saw the last comment.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Well I had it running and for whatever reason I grabbed a brake lever and it revved up. I then figured it was electrical so started looking for a bad wire. I remembered the guy saying that he had the starter out of it so I looked at it and noticed right away that there was no green wire hooked to it. The green wire was shoved down towards the engine block under the oil pump and I never saw it there till I started wondering about that wire. I wasted a good day trying to figure out why it was doing that. I assumed that since I put a new top end on it that the base or head gasket was leaking causing a lean condition and making it pop. I tore the top end off it and inspected it a few times and every time it didn't run right. It runs perfect now.