fork stem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

vuego100
Noob
Noob

fork stem

Post by vuego100 »

whats the most common method of the way the steering stem is fixed to the fork tripple clamp? I see that fork legs are bolted but is the stem? or is it welded?

Im gona get a scooter front end off ebay, forks disc brake stem, handlebars etc. and try to fit it.

Im sure its tricky whatever but im going to have a go anyway.
:) I love the pain!
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

There is a large hex nut that retains the fork assembly to the frame. Is that what you're talking about? The steering stem is retained by a bolt.

I have a complete front end assembly for sale from a 1985 Spree.

vuego100
Noob
Noob

fork stem

Post by vuego100 »

there is no tripple clamp on a spree is there? as the fork U is welded to the stem which goes up through the frame. they are lead link dampers?

What I want to do is take proper damped/sprung forks off say a piaggio zip with disc brake etc and fit that to the existing frame?
If you get what i mean.

:)
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

did you already check the dio spree conversion in the performance help area.. there is some cutting and welding that has to be done to make this happen to a spree
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

stems are welded to the triple clamp,if your current handle bars are held on to the stem by a "nut over the top" and you want to use common straight leg fork setups-bolt thru the back/front ,you will need to either cut the neck down or mod the bars to use the them.This is based off all honda stems/triples that I have/seen
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

Im doing the same conversion, it looks like all I will need to do is shorten the neck/stem (what ever you call it)... because the thread starts further up than it does on the Spree/Nifty forks.

Not a major by the looks of it...
vuego100
Noob
Noob

fork setm

Post by vuego100 »

I got hold of a pair of forks, havent offered them up against the frame yet so Im not sure whats gona be involved, although Ive just realised that the front wheel (I got a whole front end) is 13"

So now ive got a 13" wheel on the front and a 10" on the back, are there any issues I should be conserned with apart from the fact that this is going to look plain stupid!

:o