Dio variator in af16 elite issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Re: Dio variator in af16 elite issues

Post by Peteyparado »

Try lighter weights... When u give it WOT off the start does it rev up or bog?? What type of contra spring u running ?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Peteyparado wrote:Try lighter weights... When u give it WOT off the start does it rev up or bog?? What type of contra spring u running ?
The weights are not the issue, with my other variator the scooter flys right off the bat no problem. But now, with this polini, it bogs, wont hardly rev at all for 3-4 seconds at WOT from a dead stop. Again feels like the belt is stuck. Like its wedged between the drive face and variator. This polini is much bigger than my other prodigy variator. Maybe I bought the wrong one?
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Says 241.480 on the box the variator came in. Says "Polini Hi speed variator for the Honda dio af16 engine."
97 Elite SA50
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Take a pic..a post it.. Try putting the other Variator back on with stock belt,boss an weight an she if she runs?? Than you'll know for sure!
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It is REQUIRED to swap out the Elite Driven Pulley for the larger-diameter Dio ZX driven pulley if you use an 18mm wide belt. That longer belt is probably slipping along the very rim of the Elite pulley, even if you use the longer ZX boss. Then you run into alignment issues all along the belt's travel. The stock Elite belt should be at least 15mm wide, preferably the full 15.5. It slips more as it wears, killing performance.

I don't have any experience with Dr. Pulley sliders, but reportedly the load needed to be equivalent between rollers and sliders is different.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

graphite9 wrote:THe polini belt is same width as stock.

I have ran, and sold probably 150 of those exact setups, with zero issues.

480 is the right number. There is only one for the af16.
Are you sure about the width? The description for your dio polini belt even says "wider than your stock belt" Think this is my problem. With the Polini belt and variator, stock elite boss, when i tighten the drive face nut it tightens against the belt instead of the boss first. Big no no there. Will try and find my old stock elite belt with the polini variator and elite boss and see if that fits..
97 Elite SA50
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

graphite9 wrote:My guess is those rollers are far too heavy combined with a soft center spring. take your rear cover off, and rev the bike. If the pulley on the rear starts to shift, as the clutch is grabbing your rollers are too heavy, and/or your rear spring is too soft.

That is probably one of the most commonly used aftermarket belts for the elite.

That's what I was thinking G9, I use to run that same setup polini belt/Variator an stock s face no issues.. I still haven't post a picture?
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Peteyparado wrote:
graphite9 wrote:My guess is those rollers are far too heavy combined with a soft center spring. take your rear cover off, and rev the bike. If the pulley on the rear starts to shift, as the clutch is grabbing your rollers are too heavy, and/or your rear spring is too soft.

That is probably one of the most commonly used aftermarket belts for the elite.

That's what I was thinking G9, I use to run that same setup polini belt/Variator an stock s face no issues.. I still haven't post a picture?
I will get everything off and take some comparison pictures of my stock vari/ prodigy vari/ and then the polini so you guys can see what im working with. To me the polini is too big and I could have gotten something different than what my box says. I know i bought the right one, just dont know exactly if I actually got the right one. Pictures should hopefully tell with your guys help..
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

hssffc wrote:The belt does get hit first, it takes up the slack. If it starts to spread open the rear pulley as your tightening it down then maybe its too big. The belt cant go down without taking up slack elsewhere, my rear pulley the belt sits not much over it on. I don't know, I guess maybe i'd need to get a picture or go look. just do it by hand, wrap the belt around the rear pulley when you've got it off, and tighten it by hand as tight as tight as it gets you can get it, you can tell by hand if your spreading the rear pulley. see where it goes too, when you put it together, start the nut by hand on the drive side, hold the drive face, botttom the nut down on the drive boss, then do the torque and watch the rear pulley as your tightening it, maybe mark it with paint when you do it by hand. any more than a little sliver then it might be too big.
I know with my prodigy vari, after i get the drive face nut hand tight, its like a quarter to half turn and thats as far as the nut will go. With the polini I wanna say it was OVER 2 full turns to get it tight, just felt like i was crushing the belt to get the drive face to the boss. Thats why my take off from dead stop to WOT the scooter would go like 2mph for like 4 seconds, scooter couldnt even rev like the belt is stuck, like it wedged too hard in between the drive face and vari. Going to try and get some pics up tonight showing my different vari's and the size between them..
97 Elite SA50
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Did you change the small clutch springs? Maybe it's engaging at too low of an RPM.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

No have never changed the clutch springs.
97 Elite SA50