1986 Spree Is Racing & I Cannot Adjust The Idle Speed

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

stevemarx
Noob
Noob

1986 Spree Is Racing & I Cannot Adjust The Idle Speed

Post by stevemarx »

You guys have helped me out in the past and I appreciate it.

Current issue is that our 1986 Spree NQ50 is racing and I cannot turn the idle speed down. I pulled the barrel slide and reinserted it after hitting it with carb cleaner. Still racing. I believe the short notch on the barrel fits on the nipple at the back of the carb and I have checked this insertion. The throttle cable is new and all was fine when I first installed it. The racing seems to have started without a specific cause. Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, the air screw is 1.5 turns out, per specs.

Many thanks,

Steve
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1986 Spree Is Racing & I Cannot Adjust The Idle Speed

Post by benji »

Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Replace an manifold gaskets lately? Maybe you should break everything down between the carb and block and clean and re-seal it. That might do it for ya.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Long notch goes in the back. Barrel should be completely down in the shaft below the surface before screwing in the cap. Before you start it, pull the airbox tube off the carb and look into the carb hole. When you twist the throttle grip you should see it inside the carb going up and down. If your arms aren't long enough, get a buddy.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
stevemarx
Noob
Noob

Post by stevemarx »

All, thanks for your input. First, I did have the barrel bassackwards and have squared that away. It is flush and secure. It is still idling very high and the throttle is working (i.e. twisting it yields more power) so I am betting it's an air leak. Thanks for that. I may tear it down or just sell as is. Anyone interested? Just 1657 miles on it. All original. I think I'll post an ad on the forum.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Meatball wrote:Barrel should be completely down in the shaft below the surface .
Below the surface, not flush. Needs to push down further to bring your idle down. Throttle is stuck partially open unless its completely down.
'O'VerSe
BMX
BMX

Post by 'O'VerSe »

It shouldn't be caused by an exhaust leak. But you can mix up a soapy water bottle and while the bikes running spray it around the exhaust flange only. If it bubbles you have leak. Now that's only for your exhaust.(going out)But you can test every other surface with carb cleaner (Going in).. Carb to intake, intake to reeds, head to cylinder, cylinder to case, etc. If you notice a change in idle speed when spraying carb cleaner then you have a leak. A leak down test would be optimal.
1986 Honda spree-Horizontal Minarelli-70cc Polini Corsa-21mm Dellorto-Stage6 intake-Stage6 V force reeds-Hoca variator-4g rollers-Motoforce clutch-Tecnigas Next-R exhaust
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I guess he doesn't care to fix it anymore... :eyeroll:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =2&t=33438
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I'm in the market for another one... preferably an Iowa edition, but, I wouldn't give $550 for one, that's for sure. Not when I can get one in decent condition for maybe $100 around these parts. I'd of course put over $500 into it fixing it up to BRAPP!! But that's different.
stevemarx
Noob
Noob

Post by stevemarx »

All,

My wife and I sold her '86 Spree. The guy who bought it is a mechanical engineer and confirmed an air leak which he is able to fix for $190 worth of parts and his ability to install them.

We have purchased a 2011 Yamaha Vino and so are signing off this forum. Thanks for all the guidance you all have provided. I've really appreciated it and have learned a great deal.

Take care,

Steve