86 Spree ALMOST running after 10 years. Almost. Advice?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Re: 86 Spree ALMOST running after 10 years. Almost. Advice?

Post by SciFiGuy »

Update: I have narrowed it down to two main problems. And in the meantime, I ordered a new bystarter via Amazon.

1) When the throttle cable is not screwed into the carb, it moves back and forth just fine. When you insert it lightly into the carb but don't screw it down, it turns on the throttle grip just fine. After just one or two turns on the screw cap that holds it inside the carb...it sticks and binds and doesn't spring-return well. I haven't figured that out yet.

2) Engine races after it starts, and then dies about ten seconds later. Throttle cable has no effect on it at all.

So...I ordered a new bystarter. But I have to figure out why that cable sticks once you install it into the carb.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you install slide backwards?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

I replaced the bystarter with a new one, and this time it ran for a longer period, but still died. The throttle still has no effect when you twist it, but it no longer seems to be sticking.

Where the throttle cable goes into the carb and screws down, is there supposed to be an o-ring up there with the spring? Just wondering, because there isn't.

I'm beginning to suspect a carb issue here. Engine running fairly high revs, ten or fifteen seconds, no throttle response, then it dies. I see the rebuild kits are about $38. I may go that route. I got this Spree for two days of yardwork, so I'm not into it for very much money.

Side Note: If you can get one on sale like I did, I recommend the gel-cell type battery. Lots of reserve power in those, better than your standard lead-acid battery, I think.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Sounds like maybe your throttle isnt returning properly, take the airbox off and try to choke the bike with your hand your gonna leave a slice the size of a tangerine opening on the carb face, just play with it and see if you can get it to idle. Its a pain in the but but some times people rejet their bikes for weird reasons. Also have you checked to see if the muffler is clogged? I havnt had the time to fully read through all of the post but I think I get the jist. Also dont let that gel style go dead it ruins them, near dead is fine but if it drops hard it wont hold a charge right.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

Muffler is not clogged. I checked that. Bike has 1,400 miles on it. Throttle cable returns fine when it isn't screwed onto the carb. After one or two turns into the threads, throttle kind of sticky, but does return sort of.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

http://i.imgur.com/fuFyuMj.jpg

Does it look like this?
SciFiGuy
BMX
BMX

Post by SciFiGuy »

Yes. That is exactly it.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Okay so you said if you just hold that cap to the throttle cable down withit screwing it in you can freely move the throttle slide? Try holding it qith your hand and starting it and reving it and seeing if it changes. I mean I am stomped for ideas really pictures possibly of the whole motor and all.